Sign in to follow this  
snakeblueskin

hesitates on accelaration

Hi my vr6 isnt running good! When it is idling and you tap the accelarator it takes a while for the revs to kick in wich is quite annoying on a busy roundabout! It is also using alot more fuel than normal. I have changed spark plugs,new standard backbox and the airfilter. Any suggestions anyone?

Throttle cable (or throttle body) perhaps - worth checking the cable is running free and easy.

Ok cheers il try that see if it makes a difference thanks. It almost sounds like its missing a few cylinders when it does it tho? When you get past it tho it seems to run sweet as normal?

I had similar issues in My Mk2 Golf and it turned out to be arcing on one of the ignition leads. New leads cured it.

On a VR6 it might also be the lambda sensor or that the ECU needs resetting maybe?? (Just suggestions - I'm still new to VR engines!)

i am guessing you janked ignition cable out of the socket with out even knowing. I just cleaned up the same problem. The spark plugs are sparking but not @ full power so it hesitates. The OEM cables are total shiet make. It is really hard to remove them of the spark plugs and are not thus why they shouldn't be serviced. I have never had problem removeing ignition wires on any other car but vw. I have to use long needle nose plierrs to remove them out and there is not enough neck to grab onto. O yeah heres what i am talking about

IMG_0194.jpg

There's a proper tool for removing the spark plug leads....

Does your car have a coil pack? Is it arcing?

Yep, there's a proper removal tool that should be with the jack and other accessories in the boot. A long plastic sleeve that locates around the metal of the lead and with a quick twist/pull, they're off (or back on) as easy as that.

Or you can buy a homemade tool from on here but I'd recommend getting a proper metal one from the dealers as the original plastic ones are a bit crap and the homemade ones on here, personally, I think are not that much better.