Sign in to follow this  
Rinse

Buying G60 with a blown Charger...

Seen a Rad for sale up north with a blown charger. Just wanting to know if there's anything extra i'll have to look for when looking at the car. I'd be driving it back 140ish miles with the charger disconnected, would it cause me any major problems other than eating away at my fuel?

Heres the link, pretty crappy ad but I'll find out more when I phone the boy, just want to know if its worth it. I def won't be paying the full 800 for it though!

http://pistonheads.com/sales/1256349.htm

Its possible that small fragments of alloy, apex seals, oil etc might have entered the engine. If your lucky they will have only got as far as the intercooler. Remove all outlet pipes from the charger to the throttle and check them for debris. When driving you will be sucking air through the damaged charger and intercooler, are you bypassing the charger belt? i say this because if not more debris may get passed into the engine. I would rig up a pipe from the throttle to an air filter to bypass the damaged parts completely. If you do this make sure you put the co pot somewhere in the flow of air. Another thing to check for is the oil ways in the charger, depending on the damage inside the charger they could be leaking engine oil into the chargers case.

Ive just looked at the link, same thing happened to a g60 of mine, the small belt snapped and destroyed the internals of the charger, car ran but charger was making a right nasty noise, scrolls knocking about inside. If driving it i would bypass the charger belt and re-route air as i said above.

Seen a Rad for sale up north with a blown charger. Just wanting to know if there's anything extra i'll have to look for when looking at the car. I'd be driving it back 140ish miles with the charger disconnected, would it cause me any major problems other than eating away at my fuel?

Heres the link, pretty crappy ad but I'll find out more when I phone the boy, just want to know if its worth it. I def won't be paying the full 800 for it though!

The guy selling it is away on holiday to Turkey for two weeks,(I Phoned about it)

He had it on Ebay on friday and it made £411 apparently sold!!!!

The car used to belong to Corrado Addict on here,he sold it with the blown charger.

I was waiting for him to come back with the full story :)

The guy selling it is away on holiday to Turkey for two weeks,(I Phoned about it)

The car used to belong to Corrado Addict on here,he sold it with the blown charger.

Bah! Thought I'd have another chance at a cheap Rado to save :tongue:

Ah well, got another rad in the area to track down, lying about somewhere with a blown head gasket and no-ones planning sorting it. A friend, of a friends, colleauge who was laid off... Should be interesting :p

Bah! Thought I'd have another chance at a cheap Rado to save :tongue:

Ah well, got another rad in the area to track down, lying about somewhere with a blown head gasket and no-ones planning sorting it. A friend, of a friends, colleauge who was laid off... Should be interesting :p

Don`t quote me on the SOLD bit,it was on EBay but if you are interested phone him.

But he told me he was leaving on Sunday for two weeks in Turkey :)