Sign in to follow this  
charly_vrsexy

juddering brakes

Hi newly developed problem, only does it once though.

Car drives fine until you have to brake hard and then you can feel extreme juddering in the brake pedal and the brakes feel crap - this only happens on the first hard brake of a trip.

afterwards it feels fine. any ideas cos it doesnt feel good!

That's the ABS kicking in :) without it you'd get lots of screeching instead of juddering and a few more dead pheasants each year! You're one of the luck C owners to have working ABS!

That's the ABS kicking in :) without it you'd get lots of screeching instead of juddering and a few more dead pheasants each year! You're one of the luck C owners to have working ABS!

hmm im not so sure as it doesnt do that juddering every time the brakes are used and they feel better after that initial judder. it doesnt feel right to be honest.

The juddering when braking as said is the ABS kicking in, but it shouldnt do it every time you use the brakes. Only when using the brake really hard, like in an emergency stop situation. If the ABS was kicking in all the time there would be something wrong. The initial judder when you first start the car is normal - ABS doing a self check.

If it was warped discs wouldnt it judder all the time?

warped disks?

do you have a local Kwik-fit type place that'll do a free brake check?

I wouldnt have thought so, the discs were new in Jan, along with the brakes, rear calipers are new but the front ones arent.

the car pulls to the left a lot, so i think the tracking is out, however i did have a suggestion of a bush or something being worn.

I had the same problem, it only lasted about a week before the ABS light came on permanently and the juddering stopped. New rear sensor solved it all and I haven't had the problem since. :)

I had the same problem, it only lasted about a week before the ABS light came on permanently and the juddering stopped. New rear sensor solved it all and I haven't had the problem since. :)

yeh would appear to have lasted a week also but ABS light if actually off, wont come on at all now! surely the light should come on and stay on.

yeah, the light should stay on if there is an ABS fault. Does your ABS work now? If not it could be the bulb in the warning light.

yeah, the light should stay on if there is an ABS fault. Does your ABS work now? If not it could be the bulb in the warning light.

Well have fixed the bulb problem, the fuse No. 16 had blown so I have replaced that and the lightis back, it is going off so ABs would appear fault free. As far as I can tell the ABS is working fine, so the fuse must have blown, put the ABS out so it didnt know what it was doing, hence the juddering of it trying to work. hopefully all is good. however I think the spoiler must have made the fuse blow, it works when it wants to and hasnt for a bout a month now - probably needs taking apart and cleaning again and lubing up properly, or the motor could have actually gone this time.

Either way, ABS to be working, havent had to break tremendously hard though since yesterday.Will try it out on way home.