Sign in to follow this  
Jay23Sx

DIY Head Gasket Change

Afternoon,

Just a quick question for you .. how difficult would a, reasonably confident, amatuer find a head gasket change with the aid of some forum advice and the red Golf Mk2 Haynes manual?

The reason I ask is because I'm starting to think some of my cooling issues could be down to the start of a head gasket fail. I've got no mayo and no white smoke but I am slowly loosing coolant and recently had 2 hoses go on me. Ok, so they were 20 year old original hoses but all of this has got me thinking.

I'd take the car off the road so I don't have the pressure of needing it as a daily, and any suggestions and an idea of timescale would be appreciated.

PS. I did try a search, honest, but all I could find was lots of people asking about whether they had a failing head gasket - not a guide on doing it.

yeah should be fine if youve got the tools or dont buying what you need

expect a bit of swearing getting the downpipe undone...otherwise its not too bad . you can always ask on here or other forums for help

are you sure its not the oil cooler??

on a KR valver lump? Easy matey... if you know how to use a torque wrench and follow the instructions, it's exactly the same as the one in a golf, so the haynes [strike:fpso3yeu]book of lies[/strike:fpso3yeu] manual is a pretty good guide...

Well, that's how I did my first one in my MKI 16V when I was 19 anyway! :lol: (only I used a Passat Haynes!)

Time scale? couple of hours work to get it off if it's the first time you've done one...........

......plus a couple of hours of swearing at bolts that won't come undone or have been put in a stupid place specifically to make you wonder how the hell you're supposed to get them off (mainly exhaust ones!) :grin:

Get the head checked for flatness, and while you're in there I'd be very tempted to get the valve guides and seals done... Hell, when I did my first one I pulled the pistons out and did the big end shells, rings and oil pump while I was at it, but that's how I tend to get myself into the troubles I do! :lol: :cuckoo:

Putting it back together again is pretty simple, just take your time and make sure that you get everything back on in the right place... I just think of it as one big Meccano set with some vague instructions in the form of a Haynes manual! :scratch:

Good luck! 8)