Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Robotnik

ABS Light/Switch/etc? I'm back again! :D

HI GUYS :p

I'm back again with yet another question/problem.

This time with a photograph!

Anyway, it has come to my attention I do not have an ABS light (/switch?) I am lead to believe this goes above the fog lights and heated rear windscreen switches?

dsc00458small.jpg

Well, mine has a blank switch chappy here instead, and there's the 5 pin connector sitting in behind it.

So I am assuming my ABS does not work, however I'd like to at least get the warning light back so I can start trying to at least fix the ABS. And whatever mysteries the other 3 wires hold ? Is it some traction control switch or something? I am told the 2.0 16vs came with that but... Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated!

Cheerz!

Ben.

Yep it's been removed. And I bet it will shine when you pop your new one in. Get VAGCOM plugged in if it does light up all the time.

As for the wires :shrug:

Oops accidentally deleted post instead of edit lol...

Anyway, cheers Shaun! At least I know I wasn't missing something (except the light, of course) And I am assuming the one I just bought off you has the same connector :p

I've ordered some cheapo VAG-COM leads off ebay and the 2+2 connector adaptor thingy seeing as the rado isn't young enough for the nice connector

Hopefully this will shine some light on why my ABS doesn't work (pun not intended)

Also though if I turn on the ignition with my foot pressed down on the brake pedal, I feel this sharp sort of click. So I reckon it must be doing something?

However in the midst of my spending spree I bought a new sub and some amps for the corrado =[ After finding out my current sub wouldn't fit in it, i swore to myself to not go down that road again...

evidently, I lied to myself. Still, it's not all bad.

At least I have you guys here to guide me through these tough times

ahaha.

Who needs ABS anyway?! :o I crash enough on ice as it is.

Cheers mate :thumbleft: I love that film! Johnny Depp rocks in it!

btw no doubt, once you receive the cable, you'll find it wont connect. You'll have to do a little bit of fiddling to get it working. Let us know how you get on.

Yeah.

I find it strange how they only tend to work in one USB port.

But I will persevere!

oh and having to change the latency and all that, etc.

I have a lot of days off work and nothing to do, i'm sure I'll figure it out in the end, either that or kill myself with stress :D

Yeah.

I find it strange how they only tend to work in one USB port.

But I will persevere!

oh and having to change the latency and all that, etc.

I have a lot of days off work and nothing to do, i'm sure I'll figure it out in the end, either that or kill myself with stress :D

:lol: you know the procedure. Yeah mine only works on com port 3 :shrug:

Yeah. Though last time I used it on a laptop running XP

Mine runs Windows 7 and it's a pain in the ass trying to get VAG-COM running, at least the old (cheap) one!

Do you think it'd work running it under a Virtual PC?

this is something i fear getting around to sorting out is my ABS

the light on dash has never come on, and while taking dash apart i found the bulb had been cut out of it and the whole thing wrecked in the process. And under the bonnet, the wiring on the brake fluid thing isn't connected.

I asked the last owner and he said the light keep coming on but he couldn't find a fault so left the wiring undone, but he never mentioned the ABS thing had no bulb.

Yeah man.

Though it seems to be a pretty common thing, though on a car the age of the corrado there's gonna be things that just... wear out (ie. sunroof) :p

But I see there's a lot of ABS pumps and ECUs on ebay for about £30 each, supposedly in good working order so, hopefully if it is serious, it wont be too expensive to fix!

Yeah man.

Though it seems to be a pretty common thing, though on a car the age of the corrado there's gonna be things that just... wear out (ie. sunroof) :p

But I see there's a lot of ABS pumps and ECUs on ebay for about £30 each, supposedly in good working order so, hopefully if it is serious, it wont be too expensive to fix!

I'd get one of each whilst you can :lol: I was quoted £1400 for the ABS ECU and i hear the Pumps are a good grand too. :shock: I honestly cant see why they cost that much!

Also though if I turn on the ignition with my foot pressed down on the brake pedal, I feel this sharp sort of click. So I reckon it must be doing something?

Any car with servo assisted braking will do that regardless of ABS, you're supposed to use it as a test of your braking system before any journey (according to the highway code).

My early valver, non ABS, does it and so did the Focus I learnt to drive in (last year) - it was one of the things you had to know for the "show and tell" session with the examiner.

Yeah man.

I'd get one of each whilst you can :lol: I was quoted £1400 for the ABS ECU and i hear the Pumps are a good grand too. :shock: I honestly cant see why they cost that much![/quote:2wf1vpl9]

I know right!

I'd much rather just... live without ABS than have to pay the best part of £2500 to repair it.

or just sell the car and buy a storm with it or something :D

That is new from the dealers though right?

Second hand (As long as it's working) are pretty fairly priced.

Any car with servo assisted braking will do that regardless of ABS, you're supposed to use it as a test of your braking system before any journey (according to the highway code).

My early valver, non ABS, does it and so did the Focus I learnt to drive in (last year) - it was one of the things you had to know for the "show and tell" session with the examiner.

The ABS should do a check when you first turn the ignition on, regardless if you start the engine or not. Mine sort of feels and sounds like its clicking, it also feels like it drops half a centimetre or so.

Robotnik - yeah brand new from the dealers. Yeah second hand are cheap, though how long until they go (if they do). Secondhand is def worth a punt though

Hm see I don't feel or hear the clicking, only the sharp click type thing that also feels like the pedal moves down half a cm, yeah.

I hear the click of the ABS relays behind the glove box, because i have it all out at the moment so it's easy to get at. I replaced the fuses anyway because one of them just crumbled up when I took it out.

I will have to get another pair of hands to see if the unit does anything when I start up or what not.

And... I still don't feel anything with the ABS on my golf ;D Perhaps the corrado is fine and it's actually just the golf playing up... hah...

Is the early corrado abs wiring different to the late. My ABS ISO block is 2 pins deep and 4 pins wide.

Yes.

Early is as you see in the photo.

Then there is early late which has a different plug. Plugs into an ABS light ending in AA I think.

And then there is the late late one which again has a different plug. Plugs into an ABS light ending in BA I think.

I am assuming the one I bought off you Shaun will fit my plug :p

Indeed it will as you need an early one. Will be in the post tomorrow.

Hm see I don't feel or hear the clicking, only the sharp click type thing that also feels like the pedal moves down half a cm, yeah.

I hear the click of the ABS relays behind the glove box, because i have it all out at the moment so it's easy to get at. I replaced the fuses anyway because one of them just crumbled up when I took it out.

I will have to get another pair of hands to see if the unit does anything when I start up or what not.

And... I still don't feel anything with the ABS on my golf ;D Perhaps the corrado is fine and it's actually just the golf playing up... hah...

What you descibed sounds ok to me, maybe its me not being very good at explaining things. Best thing you can do mate tbh is get VAGCOM plugged into it. That will settle your mind. Or before that, get that light plugged in, if it turns on when you switch the engine on and it goes off again. Then that will be great!

Shaun - cheers for that. I realised the dash light fascia was different between late and early. I didnt realise there were 3 different plugs!

What you descibed sounds ok to me, maybe its me not being very good at explaining things. Best thing you can do mate tbh is get VAGCOM plugged into it. That will settle your mind. Or before that, get that light plugged in, if it turns on when you switch the engine on and it goes off again. Then that will be great!

Shaun - cheers for that. I realised the dash light fascia was different between late and early. I didnt realise there were 3 different plugs![/quote:3r2as0ad]

Thanks for your glimmer of hope :p Will have to wait and see what Shauns light does and hopefully it turns off!

I just noticed I ordered them vag-com leads from china :p so 2 weeks on them...

Shaun - cheers for that. I realised the dash light fascia was different between late and early. I didnt realise there were 3 different plugs![/quote:ci5caq5o]

And the other difference between the AA & BA ABS switches is the AA has the 'rough feel' to the facia like the headlight/fog/hrw switches whilst the BA is smooth to the touch.

Theres a vagcom thread on here somewhere, has a list of people with vagcom and where they are. Maybe someone close to you could scan it for you if you have no luck with the cables. :D