Sign in to follow this  
Olliel

G60 using coolant and flush question

Hi

bit of a newbie on the site but I have just bought myself a rather nice G60 : )

Since buying the car I have noticed that it has been using a bit of coolant, as I've had to top it up about 1/2 a litre in the last 300 miles.

Was wondering if this is a common problem with th G60?

From my initial checks there is no coolant in the oil and the water pump seems to be circulating fine.

Checked the breather hose onto the front of the expansion tank and it doesn't seem blocked.

The car had previously been stood for 12 months before the previous owner bought it, so was thinking it would be a good idea to flush the rad and coolant system and replace the coolant so I can get a clearer picture of what's going on.

The car is running at normal G60 water and oil temps so it's not getting too hot. Does worry me though as I'd hate the head to go if it did get hot.

Does anyone have any idea or tips on flushing my system (never worked on the G60 before)

what coolant is the best to use?

Cheers

Ollie

First thing I'd do is a pressure test on the coolant to rule out any leaks. Any White smoke out of the exhaust suggesting it's getting into the combustion chamber ?

Don't really have the gear to do a pressure test, limited tools at my new gaff.

Could do a cheeky Rac call out though??

Not followed behind it, but not smoking as far as I can tell, will have to try that when I'm back from working away

Thanks for the help

Ollie

I wouldn't flush it with anything other than plain water, but the key thing is to check for coolant escaping from any of the hose joins, which can be quite difficult as not everything is easy to get at and if things are dirty. You should have some tell tale signs of crusty dried antifreeze.

You could also pull off the black header tank overflow cover to see if anything has squirted out down there.

If you were also getting a slight smell of antifreeze inside the car and steaming up inside of the windscreen it would suggest a heater matrix leak, you could rule that out by bypassing the matrix (connect the inlet and outlet hoses together).

Haven't noticed a smell or steaming up, but really hope it isn't, as it's quite an undertaking to change isn't it??

What is the recommended coolant to use? As it seems mine has only water in it, which might suggest it's be ongoing for a while??

Ollie

Favourite place for G60 to leak coolant is both plastic flanges on the head, one at the front with the 2 temp sensors & the other on the R/H end looking from infront. I have replaced both of mine in recent years, the one at the front cracked about 4 years ago & the one on the R/H end had been weeping for years unbeknown to me but I would have to topup the coolant every couple of weeks & there was a slight smell of hot coolant when I lifted the bonnet with a hot engine but I could never see where it was coming from until the sealing ring got so bad that I could see the leak. Now that a new flange & sealing ring have been fitted its completely coolant tight & doesnt need topping up anymore & the telltale smell has gone.

Hope this helps

Mick

From talking to the previous owner looks like I have a small crack in the radiator.

Going to give it a full flush out and see how big the crack is.

Won't be doing many miles in the raddo for the moment so hopefully can just keep it topped up unroll I get a replacement and a FMIC sorted.

Anyone recommend an uprated rad to keep solve the Corrado running hot problem?

Ollie

vr6 rad is a good upgrade, there massive!

can get nice slimline cowlings made to measure with fans in them...theres a thread on here parts for sale maybe???

just need to plan your route/intercooler size if your going fmic. massive rad makes it difficult. depends if you want it on show or to hide it.

mine was tight and i only run a 1.8 16v rad. oil cooler helps alot with temp.

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=84908

Ah rite,

Well I guess that a fmic is probably more important than having a massive rad up front. Though if there is a secondhand one for the rite price.........

Yeah been looking into oil coolers as well, but then will the insurance class this as a performance upgrade and sting me on my premium?

Annoying about the rad as I'm sure I asked if it used any water or oil and was told no : (.

Ah well least I know what the problem is now. Depending on how much I loose might leave it and carry on saving for my engine bay plans.

G12 coolant expensives?

Ollie

g12 not really expensive, only type you should use though....new rad before you change though. im off to stealers in a mo so will ask for price.

oil cooler, dont believe it changes anything on insurance. doesnt provide any power upgrade, just cools oil. my insurance is complete poop though, i just act dumb.

g60's run hot too, you will see oil temps of 130 in the summer with the joy of traffic.

intercooler is good to change but doesnt make massive amounts of difference, only in arizona or like wise! id would suggest;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Medium-65mm-2-5-Deep-TwinPass-intercooler-450-Series_W0QQitemZ370233921158QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5633a94e86&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

not 100% but i think you would get a vr6 rad in with that design.

yeah im a leicester lad, depends what your thing is for meets.

hubbadubba in hinckley (halfords) is more up my street, but im not really one for meets so tend not to be regular...i like to nosey at what other people are up to if im honest.

but if your into whale tales and bodykits then cruiseleics at fosse park seems to be more that way :confused4:

g12 £4.05 + vat per 1.5l bottle.

yeah im a leicester lad, depends what your thing is for meets.

hubbadubba in hinckley (halfords) is more up my street, but im not really one for meets so tend not to be regular...i like to nosey at what other people are up to if im honest.

but if your into whale tales and bodykits then cruiseleics at fosse park seems to be more that way :confused4:

g12 £4.05 + vat per 1.5l bottle.

It's a lot cheaper up north then :) £7 down here (purcashed from dealer Saturday)

It's a lot cheaper up north then :) £7 down here (purcashed from dealer Saturday

it seems so, i am getting trade price though because they dicked me about. but that was just the price on screen?

Cheers for the info, hope I get the lower of the two prices.

Will pic some up on Friday, then have a go and flushing my system etc.

Out of interest what's the best way to bleed the G's cooling system?

Ollie

the best way, im not sure.

i just pulled hose off the bottom of the rad (engine join end)

probably is a better way but did the trick.