Sign in to follow this  
PaulMoVR6

REAR BRAKE CALLIPER QUIERY

After some advice please, iam curruntly changeing the discs and pads on my corrado i have done the front so made a start on the rear today, iam just wondering what the best tool is for removeing the two bolts that hold the disc in place if you know what i mean its like a hexagon shape bolt just wondering if theres a special tool for the job?

cheers

aye i thought it could be a allen key but it wouldnt budge scared i was going to round it, ill give it a go again though, can you use one of them hex socket set thingys?lol.

cheers

If it does start to round off the best way i've found of sorting it is to get a slightly bigger allen key and just tap it in with a hammer and that usaly works

Worked for me when trying to take the throttle body off and they started to round off.

but dont know if you can get a hammer in place to tap it hard enough tho :shrug:

Right went and bought a allen key socket set and went and tryed to get the bolts off again 2nite but still no luck!! i can't find a correct socket that will fit into the bolts dnt know if its aftermarket bolts or whatever, a 8mm socket is not quite big enough and a 9mm is to big, anyone got any ideas what size it is?

also whats the differnece between the irwin mole grips to normal ones? if theres a differece at all.

cheers

Right went and bought a allen key socket set and went and tryed to get the bolts off again 2nite but still no luck!! i can't find a correct socket that will fit into the bolts dnt know if its aftermarket bolts or whatever, a 8mm socket is not quite big enough and a 9mm is to big, anyone got any ideas what size it is?

also whats the differnece between the irwin mole grips to normal ones? if theres a differece at all.

cheers

i ordered new bolts from vw when i did my front calipers & then took it in to the local parts palce to get the size match on the allen key socket 4 the ratchet.....worked a treat :clap:

Anyone?

new bolts from veedub will cost u a couple of quid,the old 1s should be replaced anyway, & as mentioned u can use the new bolt to match up the allen socket :)

If the allen key socket is not fitting right they wont work, they rarely work anyway on these bolts. Get new bolts from VW first then attack with the Irwins. It saves a lot of grief.

If you dont have access to a blowtorch then try boiling a kettle then pouring the water on the area where the bolts are screwed into. The heat helps break the connection.

When i did my rear brakes i found that a 7mm allen key head fitted, stuck that in square made sure of a good fit and then got an extra pair of hands to hold it square. Then had to fashion an extension bar out of some scrap tube i had knocking about for added torque to break the tension; you'll need it! Then came straight out. This was on a 92 G60.

Wierdly most allen sets don't come with 7mm allen keys but Homebase sell a set that does have on in it, also Halfords sell one but i think it is called a calliper key or something, my dad bought one to do his BMW brakes!?!

Irwin do a set of attachments that fit in a drill, (ideally impact driver). You set the drill to reverse to unwind the bolt, position the irwin head into the rounded allen head and it should bite whats left of the head, grip and then unwind the bolt (and rendering it useless afterwards). Again I have seen these for sale in Homebase about £15-20 a set. Haven't had the need to use them though.

may sound like a stupid question but whats the difference between normal mole grips and irwins?

You'd have seen in my last link if you'd looked :wink:

They're like this......

boltgrip.jpg[/attachment:2age9hg6]

And can be used with a spanner, ratchet, or impact driver.

They fit over the troublesome stud, nut, or bolt head gripping the item as you turn them anti-clockwise with the internal flutes you can see in the picture above. 8)

Excellent if you've exhausted all other avenues!! :wave:

I had fun trying to get the carrier bolts out once, they wouldnt budge at all , even after hours of trying. I used Irwins and i got all 4 off in about 5 mins. Forget everything and just use some Irwins, they worth every penny :D :notworthy:

orite i see, if i had bothered to read it properly in the first case :epicfail: i would have seen the link!!

Cheers Colin

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

i rounded off an irwin bolt grip doing mine. Got 3 of the bolts out then couldn't get the last one due to wear.

Tried for hours too! Then i went to homebase and bought a blowtorch and it was out a couple of minutes later. :clap: