Sign in to follow this  
mark__gti

rusty filler neck help

hey,

iv been to look at a G60 yesterday that im thinking of buying but it seems it has a rusty fuel filler neck (took off the fuel cap and was abit rusty there)

is there a replacement part for this? and will it be the whole filler neck or just the bit at the top ill need to repace? ill see if i can get a pic in a min.

any help will be much appreciated

Mark.

It's only a metal 'cap' over the plastic filler neck (well it is on my VR anyway) used to earth the filler nozzle to the car when you're filling up. The thing is most of them are rusted out anyway...

It's only a metal 'cap' over the plastic filler neck (well it is on my VR anyway) used to earth the filler nozzle to the car when you're filling up. The thing is most of them are rusted out anyway...

ahhh thats awesome if thats the same on the G aswell!

Bump. Is it possible to change this part? It's mint on my VR6 leading me to believe it's been changed but horrid and rusty on my 16v.. does it simply unscrew or something or just pull off once you've got the clip and rubber seal out?

Dont see it being removable but if it does come off i'll be taking mine off the 8v and soaking it in Jenolite for a day or so to sort it out :D

watching with interest :lol:

ive got a rear 1/4 in my garage complete ill have a look for you,

gotta be easier with out the rest of the car in the way LOL :D

had a quick look and its not attached under petrol flap, must be on the tank which is allready gone.

would take a pic but mis placed my camera :(

Jim, me and kev removed the bits around the fuel tank area, got rid of all the dirt (there was allot :eek: ), rubbed down and treated any rust and re-undersealed. No worries there :)

Make sure the drain hole in the rubber neck shroud are clear, if not water sits in the shroud and speeds the rusting process.

I cleaned mine up the other day, stuffed some tissue down the neck and wire brushed all the loose crap off then copper greased the neck, job done...

Jim, me and kev removed the bits around the fuel tank area, got rid of all the dirt (there was allot :eek: ), rubbed down and treated any rust and re-undersealed. No worries there :)

No no mate.. I'm not worried about the VR. It's the filler neck on my valver that's gnarly. I've had the boot out before and cleaned the TONNE of mud out from around that area but the metal lip at the tip of the fillerneck is all rotten. On your VR it's totally clean and shiny and looks like new... I wanna get the one on my valver looking like that :)