Sign in to follow this  
John-M

Caliper refurbishment - Is a Dremel up to it ?

I have a set of 288 calipers to install and they are in need of de-rusting etc.

Is the Dremel tool up to the job ? Or too small and underpowered ?

And what about the 10.8 V Li-Ion battery model ? Anyone used that ?? How does it compare to the mains models ?

i use an angle grinder + cup shaped wire brush fitting + face/eye protection 8) and to finish off nice and smooth with a flap wheel in a drill.

got a bucket of water and a battery charger? then try the above links , doesnt hurt plating or rubber etc and works just as it says , will completley derust the parts after a quick scrub and rinse

That looks very interesting, thanks.

Also thanks to the other advice - I'm discounting the Dremel now.

I'll report on how the bucket of water and battery charger system works :)

i did mine with a dremel

DSC00297.jpg

DSC00623.jpg

Took ages, get loads of mess everywhere, but suprising how much rust/corrosion came off with the dremel, i had done them with a wire wheel and they looked ok but not very smooth.

i'd look at shotblasting if i did it again. Some of the home/portable kits are quite cheap or find a local company in the yellow pages

Im gonna do some wishbones soon...

Was thinking of either blasting them or at work we have a wire-brush wheel on a disc grinder-type stand...what d'ya reckon?

Was wondering when it comes to painting, do I paint before I put the bushes in? Sorry for thread-jacking John-M :grin:

I have a set of 288 calipers to install and they are in need of de-rusting etc.

Is the Dremel tool up to the job ? Or too small and underpowered ?

And what about the 10.8 V Li-Ion battery model ? Anyone used that ?? How does it compare to the mains models ?

I've got both mains and the Li-ion one and although it's very good you will need the mains powered version for something that intensive, 3corsameal's done a great job but like he said it will take ages!

I use Suffolk Stove Enamelers (just outside Woodenbridge) for sandblasting / powdercoating stuff and they are very good - not had calipers done though, only carriers but calipers should be fine as long as you tell them what to mask off (ie the piston bore and the threads) - I don't bother cleaning or painting hardly anything now, just give it to them!

got a bucket of water and a battery charger? then try the above links , doesnt hurt plating or rubber etc and works just as it says , will completley derust the parts after a quick scrub and rinse

That looks very interesting, thanks.

Also thanks to the other advice - I'm discounting the Dremel now.

I'll report on how the bucket of water and battery charger system works :)

works just like the sites say it does ...pretty amazing really

just be aware its line of sight only , so the parts will need turing , use hot water for better results and make sure theres a good strong contact on all the wires ....you will find the soda crystals near the washing powder at the supermarket , its under a pound for a large bag

after a few mins you should see it bubble ..if not re check the connections

then after a few hours or overnight if theyre bad , stiff brush and a good rinse /jet wash