Sign in to follow this  
Oliver2

New ignition barrell/Immoboliser concerns

Hi,

I'm in the process of replacing my steering column and wanted to replace the Ignition barrell and ignition switch as occasionally the key won't turn and I have to wriggle it about for it to engage poperly so I wanted to replace both to be safe.

Looking at Etka you can buy two barrells:

lock.jpg[/attachment:3t6ecspk]

I am confused to which one I need to get as when it comes to immobolisers I dont know a thing and frankly want to stay well clear of upsetting anything!!!

will I need to get the one with the Immoboliser as my car has been fitted with one?? this is £80 though! twice as much as the standard barrell...... Or does my problem defo sound like the ignition switch in which case I can just keep my original barrell?

Thanks and as always I apologise for lack of undersatanding!! This car is certainly helping thougH!!

Okay, so I just keep the sensing ring, and the signal it picks up is from my key fob and therefore has nothing to do with my barrell or keys!? so I can just replace them.... whats the deal with the two options in Etka then? thanks for humouring me.... :notworthy:

The key has a chip in it. You need to get the new key coded to the ECU. Sorry, should have been more clear!

Arrr right I get it now! nice to know how these things actually work!

If in doubt wiki!!

"Early models used a static code in the ignition key (or key fob) which was recognised by an RFID loop around the lock barrel and checked against the vehicle's Engine Control Unit (ECU) for a match. If the code is unrecognised, the ECU will not allow fuel to flow and ignition to take place. Later models use rolling codes or advanced cryptography to defeat copying of the code from the key or ECU.

Sounds like a bit of a pain then as I'm doing the column myself and won't be much use if it won't start after i've done it!....

Thanks for your help.