Sign in to follow this  
Flexso

Stalling problem, ISV?

Hello all,

Isnt it lovely to go to your car first things in the morning when you know it has to work otherwise you cant get to work!!!

Well I started up the car this morning and it started hunting, idling between 500 - 1k. Then driving it to work it stalled several times.

Last night the only thing I did was take the battery out and change the headlight bulbs.

On quick in inspection this morning my ISV pipe seem to be bent to a point where it wasnt letting very much air through. Could this be the problem?

Could some show a pic of the pipe set up they have on the ISV as mine seems to be not standard?

That could defo be the prob. Check that all the pipes are connected and that there are no splits/holes anywhere. Check them really thoroughly! Have you got a pic?

There should be a small pipe coming off the large rubber intake hose, into the ISV, then from the ISV into a curved black plastic muffler thing, then from that into the inlet manifold just after the throttle body.

I had the rough idling problem, then I cleaned the ISV with brake cleaner which seems to have steadied the idle, but now I'm getting the frequent stalling at junctions problem. I suspect the brake cleaner may have been too efficient and removed all the lubricant, making it stick occasionally, so I'm gonna try some vaseline in the valve to see if that cures it (from a post in another thread on here).

T

Definitely a bit of a bodge, looks like they have deleted the plastic thing, think its a damper or something. You could just get a decent one piece bit of hose and delete the damper without all the joins and horrible bends. Did mine and cant say i noticed much difference but a nice bit of silicone hose makes all the difference :wink:

oh and cable ties are great but not perfect for sealing pipes, try a couple of jubilees or hose clips to get a good seal just in case there is an air leak.

Just a thought but did you completely disconnect the battery as i think you can reset the ecu doing that. maybe needs to relearn the settings again. there is a recommended procedure for doing this. Have a search around theres a few posts on it.