Sign in to follow this  
frandaman

Reparing a CD player

Hi guys, I recently purchased my second Corrado, (a Storm) and lo and behold, it still had the 13yo OEM CD player! The radio sounds great and it even has a little controller thing on the steering column which adjusts volume, track, radio station etc. However, the CD player skips awfully when moving over even the smoothest roads, which renders it totally useless.

I was just wondering if there was any way to repair the player? I don't want to replace the unit as I love the novelty of having the car's original radio, and I would hate to lose the use of the gimmicky little steering column controller. I'm not the sort of person who cares a great deal about sound quality from the speakers, I much prefer the noise made by the engine, so total sound clarity is really not a must. I've tried searching the net for a replacement player of the same type and have drawn a complete blank. Can anyone help?

Sounds like the laser is forked, but if the car has been smoked in over a long time it could just need a clean, pull the head out strip the cover off an wipe the lens with a cottenbud and some meths

Sounds like the laser is forked, but if the car has been smoked in over a long time it could just need a clean, pull the head out strip the cover off an wipe the lens with a cottenbud and some meths

Meths leaves a white "anti-drink" deposit. Better to use isopropyl alcohol, commonly found is tape head clear cleaning solutions. Can be bought but the minmum quantity outweighs the job it's needed for.