Sign in to follow this  
Cam

One brake light on

Looking for some advice please. I noticed this morning that only one of my brake lights was working. Having rummaged around and found a spare bulb, I duly changed it. All working, or so i thought.

However, when I returned home this time with lights on, i noticed that one of the brake lights was constantly on.

I changed the bulb again, and when my lights are off, the brake element works fine, however when i switch my lights on, on the near side, the brake light is always on.

Its too late and dark now to start pulling things apart, but what could be the problem and what should i be looking for tomorrow? The car is a 91 plate.

Thanks

Swap the bulb from the side you know to be working. You'll then know if it's the bulb or not. Check the connectors.

Yep, def a dual bulb. When the lights are not on the secondary element works fine for the brake light, however when i switch my lights on the element is on all the time.

Stripping away the lining and checking the wiring to see if it is shorting somewhere. This might explain the reasoning why my battery has been dead after a few days of non-use if there is a short somewhere.