Sign in to follow this  
mattwelcer

VR Running/Idle Problem

My VR has a funny running/idle problem. From idle up until 3000rpm it doesn't run smoothly, its difficult to describe just thats its not smooth. Here are some pictures from today and what i found...

Spark plugs 1 - 3

sparkplugs1-3.jpg

Spark plugs 4 - 6

sparkplugs4-6.jpg

Cylinders 1 - 3

inlet1-3.jpg

Cylinders 4 - 6

inlet4-6.jpg

In cylinder 5 is oil but it smells like petrol...

Tonight i am going to check if the coilpack is OK by spraying it with water to see if there are any sparks/shorts. I think the plugs themselves look normal. I have tried VAG-COM but there are no errors showing :(

and what do you think to the cams, do they look normal?

Cyl. 1 & 2

cams1-2.jpg

Cyl. 3 & 4

cams3-4.jpg

Cyl. 5 & 6

cams5-6.jpg

do they look worn? Also is it possible there is a problem with the cylinder head, eg the valve seals need changing?

Plugs OK as you say. Cams look polished but not worn (no mileage to judge but not a big thing here)

Take the coil pack off rather than spraying water!. Look for cracking and arcing paths, including inside the outer casing.

Check ignition leads are 5k ohm +/- 1kohm generally and check inside the plug caps to see if the electrode connections are clean.

This sort of problems doesn't usually throw ECU errors unfortnately. Back to good old basic engine mechanics and detective work.