Sign in to follow this  
jsa211182

Rado KR losing water rapid

Hey guys,

I'm no genius with stuf flike this so bear with me....My rado is losing water quite rapid :( . Twice in about 2 weeks I have had a water light on start up (my guessing as its losing some water when its sat still?). I have yet to check the pil for mayo but will after work today and post back. The heating all seems fine in the car but i am still worried possibly head gasket. Last night got in the car and had the light so toppped the water up and went out for a drive, sat at KFC drive thru for ages and the temp crept over 110 without any fan kicking (switched off the engine) in so thinking some sort of sensor? No water warning lights so the levels must have been fine so collection of bust pipe and sensors or pooped head?

Once on motorways engine cools to normal and no warning lights, MFA says oil temp is happy at about 98.

Appreciate any thoughts

James

water leaking straight into a cylinder through a break in the gasket would produce clouds of white smoke(steam)

water leaking through the gasket into the oil system wouls definitely give you mayo in the sump/oil fill cap

a leaking heater matrix would steam up your windows/wet carpet

leaking hoses at joins usually leaves some crusty trace of dried antifreeze red or blue depending on type used

leaking radiator would usually show some crusty deposits somewhere

leaking heat exchanger (oil cooler) usually dumps water into the oil, so can seem like a head gasket

you might also get oil in the header tank

cylinder head plastic flanges (front or side) should show up crusty coolant again

water pump could be leaking, this usually coincides with a very noisy pump (on the front under the alternator)

the water pump thermostat flange can leak too, like the head flanges

bit to go on :)

water leaking straight into a cylinder through a break in the gasket would produce clouds of white smoke(steam)

water leaking through the gasket into the oil system wouls definitely give you mayo in the sump/oil fill cap

a leaking heater matrix would steam up your windows/wet carpet

leaking hoses at joins usually leaves some crusty trace of dried antifreeze red or blue depending on type used

leaking radiator would usually show some crusty deposits somewhere

leaking heat exchanger (oil cooler) usually dumps water into the oil, so can seem like a head gasket

you might also get oil in the header tank

cylinder head plastic flanges (front or side) should show up crusty coolant again

water pump could be leaking, this usually coincides with a very noisy pump (on the front under the alternator)

the water pump thermostat flange can leak too, like the head flanges

bit to go on :)

Thanks Matey!

I have noticed that the gearbox seems to be wet - as if water has leaked on it! I had to tighten the hose (bottom one from the water tank to the engine) and it looks wet and messy at that junction? Could the leak be coming from that hose? Is it a common hose to go??

it could be the cap on the expansion tank, if that isn't holding pressure for some reason then water will overflow out through the side of the tank and drip from underneath, the old style cap is black the new ones should be blue, slught re-design of pressure release.

the hose may well be leaking though, best clean everything up and check while the engine is running and also after it's beenm standing for a few hours as sometimes small amounts of water evaporate from the engine heat while things are running.

Yeah i have the black cap so the older type! I will call in GSF on the way home tonight and pick up a new one anyway...be worth getting....as for the pipe I will try do the cleaning tonight weather permitting that is!!! :mad2: