Sign in to follow this  
ray_vr6

steering rack pipes

Hi

Can anyone give me the part numbers for the pipes that feed into the power steering rack and what kind of price VW would want for them.

Oh and its for a 1990 16v

These look identical to the pipes off the front of a Mk2 Golf GTI power steering rack and if they are then you will be pleased to hear that VW do not sell the pipes seperately. They will only sell you a complete steering rack. I had the same problem with a Golf a few years back and eventually I had a new set made up in a local garage from brake pipe material. I recycled some of the fittings and was able to source the others from a local engineering supply company. Total cost was under a tenner. I also tracked down a company who refurbished power steering racks via Google who could supply a set but they wanted around £60.

Hi Ray, Do you mind me asking how you got on with the pipes? I have just failed my MOT due to leaking steering rack pipes and would much rather be replacing the pipes rather than the whole fekin' rack. Also, is it a DIY or garage job? ta, Craig.

Hi Craig

I ended up not using them as it was the pipes to the resevouir I needed and I ended up selling them on the forum.

Sorry can't be of any more help

If you can get the replacement pipes it is definitely a DIY job. Just unscrew the old ones, bolt on the new ones, top up the power steering reservoir, start up the engine, wind the steering from lock to lock a couple of times and it's job done.