Sign in to follow this  
Bodinangel

Non - Starting 2l 16v. Any ideas?

Hello

Last weekend my Corrado died, any suggestions you guys could make would be greatly received.

What has happened:

Last saturday I took a trip to Sainsburys and when I came out the car wouldn't start. The battery seamed fine, but we tried jumping it anyway but it did not help. The car was just making a clicking sound. We called out the AA and he suggested that my starter motor was probably on its way out. We got the car bump started and I drove it home (it ran fine after it started) where it refused to start again. When Bumped again it started immediately so decided it probably was the motor.

New motor was ordered and arrived promptly and I fitted it this morning. However the problem remains exactly the same. Just a clicking sound from the starter. My thinking is this -

1. The engine itself is ok because when bumped it runs with no problems

2. The battery is ok because all the lights, windows, sunroof etc.. all work and jumping it makes no difference

3. It would be unlucky for me to have 2 starter motors with the same problem

therefore..

The problem must be somewhere between the ignition and the starter.

Does that sound sensible?

It has been suggested to me to remove the starter and try running it not installed to test if it works without any flywheel resistance. Also to clean the earth straps. Does this make sense? I am going to try it as soon as it stops raining as it has started lashing down (I don't have a garage).

Any other ideas?

A bit of background on the car.

1. It has about 165000 miles (Dash got replaced a year or so back which changed the mileage so not 100% certain)

2. It has had no real starting issues ever before, except the occasional battery problem

3. I am the 3rd owner and have had it for 3.5 years, the previous owner was my dad who had it for around 10. It has been driven relatively sensibly during this time.

4. It broke down last saturday, however on the previous Thursday I drowned it in a big puddle that caught me by surprise. Car died and had to tow it home as it got water in the dizzy cap. Seams coincidental that this has happened so close to my current problem. Could they be related?

Thanks, any help or suggestions would be greatly received.

Gary

Cheers

Gary.

try cleaning the the terminals on the starter leads and the main earth strap to the block, would be a good starting point, hope you sort it soon mate

if the car runs fine when bump started , then your problem wont be partial seizure of the engine,

you need to start checking the wiring from the ignition switch to the starter, they maybe high resistance in the solonoid wire, or starter main cable, you can test this with a multimeter for volt drop, check and record the voltage of the battery, then connect the red postive on the multimeter to the main red starter cable and the the black lead to earth, get someone to crank the engine , whilst you monitor the voltage on your meter is there is 0.5 volt drop between that reading and the battery voltage , then the main red starter cable or earth have high resistance , clean all connections, including battery terinal and earths,

the solonoid cable is the same test procedure check for 0.5 v drop, clean or repair faulty wire, i would also check starter ring gear for damage or wear, disconnect battery and remove starer, turn engine over and examine ring gear.

hope this help,

To test the starter:

Turn on the ignition so that you have lights on in the dash.

Make sure the car is out of gear and handbrake on.

Get a jump lead and connect one end to the positive side of the battery.

Touch the other end of the jump lead to the smaller connection on the starter. The starter should turn over and start the car.

If the starter doesn't crank the engine then it is a problem with the starter

To test the wiring from the ignition to the starter:

If the car started, turn off again.

Remove the covers around the ignition barrel. (inside car)

Remove the electrical plug from the bottom of the ignition barrel.

You will have to supply the starter wire with 12v from here. I think the starter wire is red/black at the ignition plug (it will be one of the heavy wires).

The heaviest wire at the ignition plug should be red and that will be 12v.

Then get approx 6" length of med/heavy wire and join the starter wire to the heavy red wire. It should spin the starter but not start the car.

If this happens you have a faulty ignition switch.

Hope this helps. someone correct me if i'm wrong on the wire colours.

Paddy

Someone on the Passat forum had the same problem; as David says, it is likely to be the damned ignition switch.

Get an original equipment one , (and book yourself an appointment with a good chiropractor to sort out the lower back damage you get changing it).

Best wishes

RB

Cheers for your help guys. Luckily it turned out to be a dodgy connection, I cleaned up the wires and terminals and it started fine. Silly me should have checked it first.

Cheers for the advice i'll remember this for when it next goes wrong! Next job is fixing the whole in the exhaust.

Gary

P.S. Did the ignition a year or so back, there were some serious acrobatics getting that fitted.