Sign in to follow this  
Mcr VR6

Coolant water pipe question (crack pipe)

Hi,

I had some work done on my car at a garage and while it was there the coolant system magically starting pissing water. When I put water in the top it comes straight out again, and basically I have found that the plastic water pipe running across the front of the sump (tucked in under the manifold so I could hardly see it) has a little plastic spout that snapped off.

I've bought a new pipe from VW but I'm having trouble getting at it to replace it. Whats the easiest way to do it? Does the manifold have to come off? I couldn't even get the little plastic panel with the warning sign off from above the fans as the screws have both rusted :/

The pipe is part no 021 121 050 C, highlighted yellow on the picture below (kindly sent from the stealership!) Any pointers would be greatly appreciated...

thumb-8EC1_4B0D1955.jpg

Its the "crack pipe",runs from the block to the thermostat housing.

I beleive you will have to remove the thermostat housing to get it out.

You dont have to take off the manifold :)

Do a search on Crack Pipe or replacing thermostat housing

That should help you.

It might be better to replace the thermostat housing at the same time.

As its all plastic and gets brittle with age,not too expensive either :)

personally i would take te front bumper off slam panel and radiator of and get that out of the way, so you can see what your doing

yeh you will have to take the thermostat housing off which is 3 bolts , also you will need the gasket that seals it to the block as there a one use only thing and double in size (you could ghetto it and just cut in and over lap it but i wouldnt recommend that haha thats what i had to do haha as i didnt relise) and i imagine the rest is easy a couple fixings and bobs ur uncle jobs done

hope this helps

Its the "crack pipe",runs from the block to the thermostat housing.

I beleive you will have to remove the thermostat housing to get it out.

You dont have to take off the manifold :)

Do a search on Crack Pipe or replacing thermostat housing

That should help you.

It might be better to replace the thermostat housing at the same time.

As its all plastic and gets brittle with age,not too expensive either :)

ah, the infamous crack pipe! cheers for the info, will have to get myself back to the stealers for the thermostat housing too then.

personally i would take te front bumper off slam panel and radiator of and get that out of the way, so you can see what your doing

yeh you will have to take the thermostat housing off which is 3 bolts , also you will need the gasket that seals it to the block as there a one use only thing and double in size (you could ghetto it and just cut in and over lap it but i wouldnt recommend that haha thats what i had to do haha as i didnt relise) and i imagine the rest is easy a couple fixings and bobs ur uncle jobs done

hope this helps

yeah, i think i will try going in the front like you say and hope the bolts haven't all rusted solid. I've not done it before so I wasn't sure how easy taking off the rad would be, I'm sure I can work it out on the day tho. thanks for the help!

:grin: Shane

I just added 'crack pipe' to the title but left it as coolant water pipe so other noobs like me can find this.

I quickly found this thread called 'crack pipe burst - VR6' which has everything I need and more I didn't expect;

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69222

Also this thread 'crack pipe replacement' is short but mentions not removing the bumper or slam panel, just the rad and fans to do the job;

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=81411&hilit=crack+pipe

And here is an external link to a how-to on the gruvenparts website;

http://gruvenparts.com/website/diys/crack%20pipe%20installation.htm

Information overload at the mo! :lol:

Are irwin bolt grips any different to a socket set?

yeah, they're for rounded off bolts. you hammer them on and they grip the rounded head allowing you to remove them without drilling etc.

Cheers The_Dude, I thought they were an alternative to sockets etc but I won't bother with a set now unless I need em. Fingers crossed!