Sign in to follow this  
lbryant21987

hello pepps car not running correctly

Hey there my car hunts at low revs when driving Just had an mot any ideas what it could be got good spark and air flow and also the MPG on th MFD is saying the highest i get is 19.9 is this correct anyone?????

engine type vr6 or 16v?

you have to be driving and the mpg will fluctuate depending on throttle postion , vacume operated guage, you may have a vacume leak as the idle is poor.

Hello its the 2.0 16v and 19.9 is the best i have had out of it from the mfd 14.4 is the lowest something cant be right it feels like its missfiring at low rpm when driving but goes to well for it to be a cylinder down???????

Some more info might help like when it was last serviced or what's been changed recently?

As ignition parts break down you can get HT misfires at low RPM or at idle but the car can run fine as the engine speed picks up.

Deffo something wrong if your getting less than 20mpg! - I'd also check for vac leaks and try and get it on VAGCOM to see if there are any fault codes.

Some more info might help like when it was last serviced or what's been changed recently?

As ignition parts break down you can get HT misfires at low RPM or at idle but the car can run fine as the engine speed picks up.

Deffo something wrong if your getting less than 20mpg! - I'd also check for vac leaks and try and get it on VAGCOM to see if there are any fault codes.

Just had Recent MOT. New belts etc

I have put new HT leads, Plugs, Disi cap, rotor arm, fuel filter checked timing and its ok. Now vacum leaks checked that also have checked the cold start valve by taking it off and checked if it was spraying all the time ( It wasnt). But plugs are still dark in colour overfueling and also you can smell it is very rich. Have Also checked the blue temp switch resistance and that seems to be working ok as resistance starts at 6800 -7000 at cold then reduces to 280-350 at 90 .c .

Also i have tried pluging it into to VAG-COM and the year of me car 1993 says use ob2 plug but mine is 2x2 plug so i selected year 1992 with the 2x2 plug and it wouldnt connect on either years. And this was a genuine Snap on reader Not some cheap cr"p of ebay. It read No respone can not connect.

Ok, you've done all the usual stuff then... maybe a lambda fault? could try unplugging it, if it makes no difference then it's probably shot.

You really need to get it on VAGCOM - those Snap-On readers don't seem to like the 9A engine but it's more to do with the engine as you need to use v409.0 or later of VAGCOM with the baud rate set to 4,800 for the 9A only.

Ok, you've done all the usual stuff then... maybe a lambda fault? could try unplugging it, if it makes no difference then it's probably shot.

You really need to get it on VAGCOM - those Snap-On readers don't seem to like the 9A engine but it's more to do with the engine as you need to use v409.0 or later of VAGCOM with the baud rate set to 4,800 for the 9A only.

So the one that i have got can not be used to read my engine then???

I dont realy want to go to VW as they charge a fortune to plug it in