Sign in to follow this  
Serial

Spongy brakes problem

OK, I recently replaced the whole back brake assembly, including new calipers, pads, discs, & hoses. Bled the brakes using eezibleed, but couldn't get the pedal to firm up properly. The brakes worked, but the pedal travel was way too much. So, I took it to the local garage who reckoned that the problem was the master cylinder, which was replaced today, but the brake pedal is still too spongy to pass the MOT... I wonder if anyone has any idea what could be the problem? The garage say they've bled the system many times with no improvement.

I got the new rear calipers off eBay, not sure what make -- can dodgy calipers cause brake spongyness? There's no leaks anywhere... Also the pedal was nice and firm before I replaced the back brakes. Could a faulty rear bias valve cause this? Have I damaged the ABS unit?

I bled all four wheels, the master cylinder and the two nipples on top of the ABS unit before taking it to the garage, they replaced the MC and bled it "about 20 times" (?) and say it's still not right... The only thing I can think of that hasn't been done is to do the VAG-COM ABS bleeding procedure, I guess that's a good thing to try also...?

Ok, could be the rear calipers not self adjusted...

I would release the handbrake cables and pump the pedal a good few times and make sure the rear brake pads move in and out, then clamp the valve open and bleed the rears again, pump the pedal a few times then re-connect the handbrake.

Try and drive it a bit as long as you think it's safe and get them bedded in

if the handbrake cable was installed before bleeding rear brakes, it can cause the calipers to do this, i know this as skoda is the same, rear callipers may need replacing!

Car's still at the garage over the weekend, waiting for it's MOT, but I spoke to them on Friday and they said they'd sorted it, but didn't tell me what was wrong... I'll ask on Monday and post an update. :)

I bled all four wheels, the master cylinder and the two nipples on top of the ABS unit before taking it to the garage, they replaced the MC and bled it "about 20 times" (?) and say it's still not right... The only thing I can think of that hasn't been done is to do the VAG-COM ABS bleeding procedure, I guess that's a good thing to try also...?

That procedure doesn't apply to the UK RHD Corrado, thats the Teves 02 brake system, UK is Teves 04 on VR6. UK is bled using standard brakes technique of RR, RL, FR and FL in that order. Just open the bleed screws and fluid through by what means, special bleeder or pumping the brake pedal.

UK is bled using standard brakes technique of RR, RL, FR and FL in that order. Just open the bleed screws and fluid through by what means, special bleeder or pumping the brake pedal.

FR, FL. As you look at the car from the front ? Or as you sit in the car looking forward ??

Solved, it was indeed that I had attached the handbrake cables before pumping the brakes, so I guess they hadn't self adjusted.... So... FINALLY passed the MOT today so the car is back on the road after 15 months! :clap: :D