Sign in to follow this  
transitman

Brakes... problem?

Hi all,

I have a problem with my Corrados brakes... it seems that no matter how hard you press the braking efficiency is shocking! the brakes just dont feel good at all despite new disks/pads and caliper overhaul and fluid change... you really have to stamp the pedal down as hard as you can to get it to stop...

Its a VR6 1993/94 it has ABS and I really dont know what it could be... before I start shelling out on stuff what should I do to check?

I have a shareware copy of vagcom and I know the ABS system is functioning as the light is coming on before starting the car and then goes off when engine running... I hear of ABS ECU's etc... where is this located?

Help much appreciated...

Does sound like it could be a servo problem

When u start the engine, hold u foot on the brake as u turn it over, as soon as it fires up u should feel the pedal move towards the floor

How long ago were the pads/discs replaced? If they haven't bedded in well they might have glazed causing brake fade kinda feel but if ur having to stamp the pedal i'd check servo 1st

Ill bung a new servo on... theres one for sale on the forum :)

Also check you vacuum connection/pipes to the servo, maybe worth doing before you take the servo out. Emkayvr6 is a good check but the full vacuum required may not be there to drive the brakes at full strength.

Ill bung a new servo on... theres one for sale on the forum :)

Also check you vacuum connection/pipes to the servo, maybe worth doing before you take the servo out. Emkayvr6 is a good check but the full vacuum required may not be there to drive the brakes at full strength.

Ah didn't know that RW1, learn something new everyday :D