Sign in to follow this  
Stu_pot

Steering rack on a 2.0ltr 8v

Someone has very kindly rounded the nuts to the tie rods on our 1995 N reg corrado. I was told by the tyre shop that it would really need a new steering rack and tie rods to fix the problem.

I then realised i have a dormant mk2 golf with power steering..... my question is.... are they the same or am I living in fantasy land?

help is most appreciated.

I think you'll find the 8v C has the same rack as the 16v golf (and 16v/G60 corrado), the 8v golf rack will fit and is basically identical (apart from the input shaft which would need a pre 1992 corrado UJ to match the number of splines) but you'll probably find the 8v GTI rack is slightly slower than the Corrado one, slightly more turns lock to lock.

Yeah I was thinking a second opinion but thats two garages its been to and both are saying that there is no way the track rod is coming off. I'll have a pop at it tomorrow with some heat and some bodge-grips :)

Stu - I very much doubt the Rod to rack nuts are rounded as these are 32mm and under the steering rack boots so you should be able to get new track rods to fix the issue.

The ones that are rounded will be the smaller exposed ones from the Track rod to the end which are used to adjust tracking.

It's fairly common I think for garages that aren't used to dealing with VW's to tell customers they need a new Steering rack when just the rod is required!

it's a pig to get on them though, the track rods sometimes only have one flat to get the spanner on and there's not much room down there

You need a thin spanner like the viscous fan spanner that Halfords sell...

You then need to allign the rack so you can get to it between the subframe and wishbone...

Much easier on a ramp!