Sign in to follow this  
mk4po-low

HELP! Fan probs

My fan has started going crazy on me....while stationary the fan kicks in and spins incredibly fast and sends a deep shudder throughout the car.......continues after switching the engine off until the fan shuts off.....any ideas guys? faulty fan switch or even faulty fan?

Fan blades are out of balance. there should be some little metal weights on them IIRC. Check that it's bolted in securely and none of the blades are damaged.

had a look on the fan and there dont seem to be any weights on the blades, the fan itself seems pretty secure theres a slight amount of play but nothing too serious....took the car to a mechanic and he said the motor might be burning out, is this possible or is he tryna rip me off?.

had a look on the fan and there dont seem to be any weights on the blades, the fan itself seems pretty secure theres a slight amount of play but nothing too serious....took the car to a mechanic and he said the motor might be burning out, is this possible or is he tryna rip me off?.

Well, I guess the fan would have a bearing which could be going? I'm not sure about ripping you off, a new fan (non OEM) is about £30 and if it's a 16V you can change it yourself in about 15 minutes (less if the bolts come off easy).

it seems to be getting worse now, started squealing and sounds like the fan is knocking against something aswell as there is a slight tapping sound, im just thinking completely new fan