Sign in to follow this  
foggyblackpool

high miles and a new car.

Hi folks,

I currently drive a 1995 mx5,its fantastic to drive but im moving to manchester after christmas and will be doing 100 motorway miles a week.

My mx5 is half way to a track day car and is dangerous on the motorway,too low,crashy and very loud at motorway speeds.

So im after a second car to do the motorway miles and drive around manchester in the day,leaving the mazda as a weekend toy.

I was after a rado a while back then sort of forgot about getting one when work wasnt going as well as it could be.Since ive been looking at something new the idea of a corrado has come back.

I have £2500 to spend and im guessing if i wanted a vr6 its going to be mega miles with that budget?

Other cars ive looked at include clio 172s and mitsubishi ftos.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

For 2.5k you'd get a pretty decent vr at the moment. Not sure what you consider mega miles, but if you're happy to spend a few quid on it post purchase to get 100% this vr http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=87071 looks pretty good...................

Welcome btw !

EDIT I had a 172 and wouldn't completely recommend for motorways.....terrible build quality and other niggles really got on my nerves, the corrado is a MUCH superior car

Given the age that they're at now (youngest is coming onto 14 years old), its condition thats key, not mileage...

If its a high mileage (eg 180-200 K plus), then you want to make sure that all the bits that wear out, have been looked at, and dealt with, eg on a VR, thing like:

- timing chains

- bushes,

- suspension

- hoses

- exhaust?

- various other odds and sods

- sign of stoneschips/possible interior wear

If it is low mileage (eg less than 120K in my book, I would expect a 14-17 year old car to have 90-170K miles by now, otherwise it has only limited use), then you will have other problems from 'standing around' (eg hardened seals/hoses) and/or 14-17 years of short journeys (eg less stonechips, but more drivers bolster wear from getting in and out), however many of things that 'should' have been sorted on the higher mileage example, may need to be done (eg timing chains/worn suspension/bushes)

-obviously, there will be exceptions to the above, and I'm sure someone will have a 30K mint example kept in a humidity controlled environment storm somewhere,..but for the rest of us..

- so in short, low or high mileage, you're likely to have different sorts of problems with them, however either way they are likely to require some form of money spending on them... ..so I would advise go on condition, and have a view of how long you are looking to own it for/what sort of mileage you plan to do, and thus whether its worth paying a 'premium' for a lower mileage example, and whether you want one that has had work already done, or one that 'may' require it in the next 30K miles or so..

Biggest factor in all of this, will be how the car has been treated over its life, and whether its is 'straight'

So is 135K miles high?- to me, no, but what really counts is how its been treated for those miles and what sort of life its had, these cars have the potential to carry off very high mileages...

They also do not, as a (general) rule rust, so if there is any rust (save in an ungalvanised area) then suspect some form of damage, or repair job..

Anyway, good luck :-)

i do about 350 motorway miles in my vr a week 150,000 miles on the clock never misses a beat love driving it everytime i get in it