Sign in to follow this  
iR6

Gauge temps

Hi everyone, new to this forum, and Corrado ownership and enjoying it so far :)

One little problem that i've found with my vr6 (didnt take long did it?!) is that both the water

temp gauge and mfa oil temp reading are, after doing a search on here, i belive too low.

Now i've only driven the car since outside tempratures have struggled to get above freezing but even so

they do seem to be functioning incorrectly.

The oil temp on a run only reaches 66-68 and sitting in traffic gets to 72.

The coolent gauge barely even moves, i thought it was not even working at first, but after sitting in traffic for

ten mins the needle slowly managed to creep up to the first line, then once i started moving it went down to, well, nothing again!

So could anyone point me in the right direction as i really dont think its down to the cold weather alone :)

have a read at the 'definitive vr6 cooling guide' or similar thread title - its stickied, try the search too

i understand the yellow sensor in the thermostat housing signals water temps, so that could be old and crusty/ faulty, or the actual dash guage could be misreading the signal

my temps are also very low, like 60 - 70 in current conditions but will rise when stopped, and having changed yellow sensor etc and checking pipes with an infrared temp guage they are actually reading correct, my *problem* is one of previous owners has fittted a low temp thermostat which opens at 70 degs or roundabouts - way tooooo low for winter driving - maybe yours is the same

have a read at the 'definitive vr6 cooling guide' or similar thread title - its stickied, try the search too

i understand the yellow sensor in the thermostat housing signals water temps, so that could be old and crusty/ faulty, or the actual dash guage could be misreading the signal

my temps are also very low, like 60 - 70 in current conditions but will rise when stopped, and having changed yellow sensor etc and checking pipes with an infrared temp guage they are actually reading correct, my *problem* is one of previous owners has fittted a low temp thermostat which opens at 70 degs or roundabouts - way tooooo low for winter driving - maybe yours is the same

Yes i have read through the 'cooling guide' and had a little search, which brought me to the conclusion something is not quite right.

But seeing as your having similar issues, makes me think all is not too bad. Wonder what figures others are getting with the current weather? A mate of mine had a vr6 a few years back and i remember his oil temp always going over 110.

Not too worried about the coolant temp, but with the oil not getting much above 70 thats not nearly operating temp!

Think i'll check over the sensors to see what state they are in, am i right in thinking the oil sensor is in the top of the filter housing?

yeh search shows a few others with similar issues

my oil goes up to about 90 - 100, on my previous vr it was always 104+ and that was with a mocal oil cooler, and yeh i think the sensor is on the filter housing

that cooling thread says the cold map doesn't switch off until water temp gets to 70degs, so assuming temps are correct we're running rich, i would've swapped for a regular thermostat when i did the sensors if i'd known at time, but now i don't fancy dong another drain down :|

Thats a good point about the cold map :shock: could always do with it using more fuel then it already does!! .... think i'll have a good look around

that housing assm, are they a pain to drain then bleed?

Thanks for your help btw :D

changing sensors straightforward enough, tho they can be stuck in the housing fairly solid, have cut hands as testament :D

to change the thermostat you need to pull the housing off which is still straightforward, just a little more involved

easy enough to drain down and refill, and good opportunity to do other stuff like rad thermoswitch and aux water pump

changing sensors straightforward enough, tho they can be stuck in the housing fairly solid, have cut hands as testament :D

to change the thermostat you need to pull the housing off which is still straightforward, just a little more involved

easy enough to drain down and refill, and good opportunity to do other stuff like rad thermoswitch and aux water pump

Cool, thanks for that :D