4eyes2wheels

Flash Red 1993 VR6 - Sold on to the next owner

Very nice indeed :) Dodo wax was quite good but the Lime Prime just didn't seem to like Flash Red at all - I found it a real pain in the backside to work with! Removing it was exhausting as it just seemed to bond onto the paintwork!

Thanks for the tip, there are so many products out there and so much advice it is quite bewildering. I've heard the red paint is softer than darker colours and needs different products. Perhaps I'll upgrade the Corrado regime to Auto Glym all round and relegate the Meguiars products to the wife's BMW. Anythings better than the Waves Car Wash men at Tesco who slash in the bucket to get some suds . . .

Cheers Jim, the Megs stuff is OK but when it's gone I'll be looking at Auto Glym or maybe Dodo Juice Orange Crush . . .front view.jpg[/attachment:3gtp9mod]

WOW! As good as new mate, good work!

Thanks for the comments!

As ever the camera does lie (a little). There are a few dings and scratches here and there. But for 17 years it's in pretty good nick. Now I need to kept layering on the love regularly to keep it looking good!

Looking good Jon 8) do you want to put that kidney on Ebay !! :norty:

After adding the goodies on Saturday I had to give it a real good clean - it was embarassing!

Don't sell you VR6 Stu, don't do it, you will regret it big time. You'll have to get it tested and taxed to sell it, so drive it then you'll not be able to part with it.

Despite the school holidays and a 12 year old daughter I find myself with a little cash to spare, so got in touch with Dave at DG to talk suspension. So Saturday sees me off to Kidderminster (270 mile round trip) for some R32 bushes up front and Bilstein B4s all around. This might seem a little restrained - no big drops or rock hard stiffness - but it fits my driving style and usage.

Standard ride height for a middle aged duffer like me mate. Too many speed bumps and potholes around me for anything else!

Indeed, they are low enough in our eyes too mate and the state of the roads doesn't help either, i have B4's on my 8v and they are bloody superb if i'm honest so hope they are the same for the VR too! :wink:

Standard ride height for a middle aged duffer like me mate. Too many speed bumps and potholes around me for anything else!

:shrug: What do i know :epicfail:

Good day with Dave and Graham at DG.

Went to collect the VR6 with it's new bits which include

Track rods and rod ends (the originals were knackered)

R32 wishbone bushes

Bilstein B4 dampers all around

Wheels aligned (steering wheel is straight now !)

That was the original list then Dave suggested I try their remapped ECU. "Would sir care for more mid range power and instant throttle response?" Yes I would.

I had also been badgering Dave about a headlight loom which he made and fitted while I waited.

Result is a car with a great ride - comfortable but taut, not crashy over potholes and speed bumps - and that really pulls in the mid range (where I like my power, not a screaming top end). Also head lights that are very bright!

So my quest for a VR6 that is to modern standards is progressing extremely well.

Thanks once again to Dave and Graham for their hospitality, patient advice and for fixing other minor niggles as they arise. And all at a very good price!

Good day with Dave and Graham at DG.

Went to collect the VR6 with it's new bits which include

Track rods and rod ends (the originals were knackered)

R32 wishbone bushes

Bilstein B4 dampers all around

Wheels aligned (steering wheel is straight now !)

That was the original list then Dave suggested I try their remapped ECU. "Would sir care for more mid range power and instant throttle response?" Yes I would.

I had also been badgering Dave about a headlight loom which he made and fitted while I waited.

Result is a car with a great ride - comfortable but taut, not crashy over potholes and speed bumps - and that really pulls in the mid range (where I like my power, not a screaming top end). Also head lights that are very bright!

So my quest for a VR6 that is to modern standards is progressing extremely well.

Thanks once again to Dave and Graham for their hospitality, patient advice and for fixing other minor niggles as they arise. And all at a very good price!

Glad your liking the remap fella Dave suggested i run it on mine and having run it for a good 500-600 miles now loving the instant throttle response just half the gas gives a nice pull even at low speeds :D

Day off today looking after my daughter and so the Corrado had a right good clean while she sat in the sun reading.

Today was the first time I have unleashed the upgraded cleaning products - out goes the Meguiars stuff and in comes the Auto Glym.

So a wash and dry then attacked the grey plastic and rubber bits with Auto Glym Bumper Care so they are now more like black. Then Super Resin Polish (managed to squirt about 80 pence worth on the tarmac after shaking like mad) followed by High Definition Wax. All done by hand and although the SRP was good I was really impressed with the HD Wax.

I bought most of this lot plus fast glass, leather cleaner, conditioner and convertibile roof cleaner and reproofer (the last few for the wife's beemer) from Halfords when they had the BOGOF but the wax was 40 quid from them so I found some on ebay for 23 quid delivered.

I digress - the wax looked a little underwhelming once I removed the large amounts of packaging and found a little pot and a clothe and applicators. But then I started using it I was massively impressed - only need a tiny amount and it goes on so smoothly. Comes off well too and wow - really nice shiny finish!

Thanks for those who have steered me in the direction of quality products!

Just read the whole thread... some very tasty and sensible mods there!

Headlight loom, cam, remap, renew suspension & new tyres all on my shopping list...

Glad you like the B4 + standard springs; been doing homework on suspension but just can’t decide on 'shock + spring' or coilovers. Anyway it’s all academic cos I need to save some £££££ first! :( :)

Good work! :salute:

I should add that on Wednesday I was at DG Towers to have DGR+ camshafts fitted.

IMAG0037.jpg[/attachment:3htqqjft]

Also had my cracked exhaust down pipe replaced and a couple of new gaskets popped in while we had the rocker cover off.

Engine definitely had a load more power everywhere although I have no stats to prove it but when Dave took us for a test drive the horizon was approaching extremely rapidly. Had no chance to drive it since other than the 140 mile trip home but that proved fun - bowling along in fifth, need to over take something, just push the loud pedal a little and off you go, another 20 mph added very fast!

Sadly car is now under 6 inches of snow again and FILTHY! Unlikely to see any use or cleaning this side of new year now.

New year will probably see MK4 rear calipers and maybe a new exhaust although the original is still in pretty decent nick.

Hi Jon the vr looking good my friend , you spent some dollar :gag: but all in the right places carry on the good work chap !! :salute:

those chains look a bit ropey tho. :lol: :lol:

The BMW days are over.

We are now a 100% VW household once more.

Driveway being shared with

IMAG0052.jpg[/attachment:2nomf5hn]

:clap: