Sign in to follow this  
dene4638

16v engine upgrades/transplant on a budget

righty ho i have recently bought a 16v rado

and along with wanting some leather seats i was thinkin of changing the hubs etc to 5 stud so was thinking of getting a mk3 golf vr6 donor car as i have found one for £300..

so was thinking of buying it for the hubs etc and then possibly transplant the vr6 engine at a later date..

corrados are a new car to me so any help or advice on wether this would work would be great..

also would the vr6 conversion be worth the effort or could i get more power on a small budget..

cheers Dene

righty ho i have recently bought a 16v rado

and along with wanting some leather seats i was thinkin of changing the hubs etc to 5 stud so was thinking of getting a mk3 golf vr6 donor car as i have found one for £300..

so was thinking of buying it for the hubs etc and then possibly transplant the vr6 engine at a later date..

corrados are a new car to me so any help or advice on wether this would work would be great..

also would the vr6 conversion be worth the effort or could i get more power on a small budget..

cheers Dene

getting more power out of a valver is fairly straight forward nut not cheap! a 4 branch manifold,ported and polished head are for sale on here at the moment for £500 which is pretty good, set up right you might see around 170bhp with cams,head, manifold,decat etc (assuming you have a 9a and not a kr)

if youve got an early rado then the vr manifold wont quite clear the bonnet!

hth

well i have been offered a mk3 golf vr6 for under £500 quid all running so was thinking of using it as a donor..

good idea? bad idea?

Mk3 front seats don't simply bolt in, and would sit too high if they ever could, but should sell for a half decent price, all the vr running gear will bolt on and give you a wider track, if u deceide to put the vr in the car it's a relitvly simple swap(mk2vr6.com has walk throughs and rado and mk2s share the same front end) and will give u 170bhp standard if obd1 or 180 I obd2. If u do decide to put the vr in tho you can use the mk3 subframe, but will need a corrado vr radiator, vr bonnet and wings, possible a corrado vr front cross member, the 16v fuel pump you have is fine and your 16v exaust is fine from the vr manifold,

so in your case 300 quid gets u a car you can strip and sell body parts and interior and your 16vengine box ecu etc make ya money back and get at least 170bhp(standard) for free and have a little left over for the vr bonnet etc. Do ya have somewere to strip and store a car/parts until it's all sold, rarely Sell over night.

that Same 300 would take some good bargin hunting to see you 170hp outta ya 16v. For 500 I recently bought a freshly re-honed 9a (still all stripped) had the head port n polished skimmed an fully reconditioned, bought new shells, gaskets, bolts, filters, belts, plugs, oil, coolant, etc etc. Luckily already got a decent flowing system n had a 4branch and kr cams 50mm inlet, from my old mk2. A trip down stealth 50-100£ and if I'm lucky might see 170. I can sell the 9a already in my car to get alittle back on all this. 300 won't take ya valver too far, a good bit of bargin hunting and u could see it breathing abit better, Club gti has a real good 16v section, tells ya cheap mods aswel as

how to go all out,

300 for a mk3 vr is a good deal tho I sold everything needed for a mk2 vr conversion off my mk2 for £600 last month. Now I'm stuck with a mk2 shell. Haha sorry for goin on n on hope it's some help

Because early cars 1.816v and some G60's use a shallow bottent and wings and also a different front bumper, so the VR engine will be to tall for the early bonnet

2.0 8v's, 2.0 16v's, Some G60's and VR6's run a raised bonnet and wider wings and slighlt different bumper to the above, and on VR's only (i think) they run wide track

AJ

dude thats excellent.. but why would i need to change the wings and bonnet surely they are the same? :confused4:

I've seen a few people who have fitted a vr and managed to keep the early wings n bonnet, I imagine they've cut down the mounts (on mk2s u have to cut the rear engine mount down a little to close bonnet) only draw back to cutting down mounts is that your sump is gunna get closer to the floor, vr sumps are already close to the floor in vr rados, bear in mind this is all under the assumption you have a early valver, you might already have the higher bonnet for all I know. Also if u do decide to go for the vr u will have to dint your driver side chassis leg for the pulleys, if u do this dont start swinging the hammer till u put the bumper back on so the chassis leg doesn't bend inwards alittle, dingin the chassis leg seems a little scru at first but it's realy not all that bad,