Sign in to follow this  
colinstubbs

Front end knocking/loose cv heatshield - help

I've had a knocking from the front right of my 1.8 valver, I had the wheels off and all the brakes and suspension looked okay, I have found the driveshaft vib damper loose so that has been hacksawed off but to no avail.

On looking further I've found the heatshield protecting the drivers inner cv joint (not heard of this heatshield before didn't know it existed!!) has become corroded/partially detached and has been rubbing on the gearbox output flange. I have used some garden wire to lift it as a temperary fix but I'm still getting a knocking sound with each revolution of the wheel but this could be the bottom of the shield being pulled up against the flange. It's bloody awkward to get to and I don't know how it's all attached.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfGearbox flange heatshield 007 (Large).jpg[/attachment:1nbb78r0]

Gearbox flange heatshield 009 (Large).jpg[/attachment:1nbb78r0]

My questions are:-

How is the heatshield attached?

How easy/possible is it to replace it?

Has anyone got any numbers for the heatshield or associated bits?

What else could be making the noise???

There are 2 bolts holding it to the block, if I remember correctly. Access from underneath, 17mm heads I think.

Don't know about your other questions though. Sorry!

Cheers Tom, so it's only attached by it's front to the block yes?

Can the bolts be accessed without removing the driveshaft? I can see this going to Nick at Wrotham if it's that much of a pain!!!

Here's the new bit (357 407 721A( now made of plastic so no further corrosion issues. Typical VW box overkill! :lol:

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfIMG_6422 (Large).JPG[/attachment:4gbpdcxi]

Tom was right about the two 17mm bolts (N 010 251 6), big enough? Yes they are fitted the other way around.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfIMG_6423 (Large).JPG[/attachment:4gbpdcxi]

As you can see access to the bolts should not be hampered by the driveshaft - just hope this cures the noise.......

......when I get around to fitting it!!

IMG_6424 (Large).JPG[/attachment:4gbpdcxi]

I think the problem I have is the lower bolt hole corner has corroded off and the shield, or 'Cap, protective' in VW parlance, has pivoted about the other bolt. Arse! .....mind you it's more arse if this doesn't stop the noise and I'm not convinced now that it will... :shrug:

Replaced this shield yesterday and it's not cured the problem. Arse

Today I took it to my local independent garage and it didn't make the bloody knocking sound at all on the way there, or when Nick drove it or when I drove home :mad2:

He reckons most likely inner CV Joint. Sod it I'm gonna buy one and get him to sort it - Can't be arsed doing this in the road in this weather. I'll start with the left and see what happens, unless anyone else has any better ideas???

you sure its the inner??

i have just had similar and it was the outer.it knocked on set off then a rubbing noise when driving. checked the boots and the outer ones had split, all the grease has been washed out - i guess by the recent snow/salt combo on the roads.

plus they are cheaper