Sign in to follow this  
timthetinyhorse

9A engine mounts

Recently when pulling away hard from junctions etc i have begun hearing a loud knock/banging noise from the front of the car, the gearbox is fine and i reently rebuilt the front end of the car i.e. strut tops, bushes etc, is it possible that a engine mount has given up and if so how do i test them?

if anyone can shead some light on this for me it would be greatly appreciated

rob

Park the car, pop the bonnet, handbrake on, put the car in gear, and just release the clutch a little as if you were trying to pull away - watch to see just how much movement there is in the engine when you begin to release the clutch. You should be able to see through the gap between the bonnet and the scuttle, or get a friend to help.

If it moves up an inch or two then that's fine. If it goes up more than that then your front mount is probably shot.

Recently when pulling away hard from junctions etc i have begun hearing a loud knock/banging noise from the front of the car, the gearbox is fine and i reently rebuilt the front end of the car i.e. strut tops, bushes etc, is it possible that a engine mount has given up and if so how do i test them?

if anyone can shead some light on this for me it would be greatly appreciated

rob

I've got the same problem with my car and its the engine mount has gone.

nice cheers guys, looks like im spending more money :D

any clues on mount cost and how hard a job it is

easy enough job, just need to support the engine and lift it slightly to get the front mount out

2 bolts underneath and one on top

I had a GSF mount that lasted for years but I'm not sure about their current part quality

I'd fit a FEBI part minimum and preferably a genuine VAG one, although a vibratechnics mount won't be much more than a VAG one

take your pick, about 30 quid to 150 quid - GSF, FEBI,VAG,VT

here is a couple of links for the VT mounts

Front mount http://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/parts/part-details.asp?id=333

Rear engine mount http://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/parts/part-details.asp?id=335

Gearbox mounthttp://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/parts/part-details.asp?id=336

They say they are for a Golf but Graham from DG sent me the links to all of them and said they will fit the 9a rado

I've said this before I can't reccommend the Vibratechnics front mount on a 16v. I was running a GSF 'pudding' mount before and switched over to the Vibratechnics at considerable cost because I thought it'd be a better allround product.

If your only interest is fast road and track action, go with the VT - however if you use your car every day and prefer comfort go with an OE mount. The VT mount has increased the amount of vibration into the cabin and general engine noise many times over since it was fitted.. at fast motorway speeds or very high revs it borders on being unbearable!

I'm only putting up with it because it's a well reputed modification, because I can't be bothered with the aggro of getting it removed and an OE one put on, and I don't use my car as a daily any more. If I was using it every day still however, I'd ditch the VT.