Sign in to follow this  
Swompy

Best engine mounts

Following on from another thread.

which is the best engine mounts and why?

Is it VT, Febi, VW ect ect

For a 4 cylinder stick with VW, apart from the gearbox mount, which I've replaced with a GSF Mk2 Diesel item as it's solid rubber.

I used toads set up and there was not alot of difference to be honest i suspect due to the power level. Then went vibrateknic competition and the difference was out of this world, and not too stiff with minimal cabin vibration.

Ugh. OE gets my vote. Cabin vibration from a VT front mount on 4 cylinder cars is dreadful.

It would be alot nicer to drive with less engine movement in the corners, acceleration and braking.

All 3 really are not overkill, honestly, cabin vibration was very very minimal, suspect it all depends on what else you have done.

I have to agree with Jim and supercharged on this one,

although I have a front VT mount and a febi rear (basically identical to a VAG one, I've compared a whole bunch side-by-side) there is more vibration from just a front VT mount.

I like the reduced engine movement, particularly for high rev gear changes, but there is a trade off.

I did notice that on the rolling road, even with fairly gentle gear changes, the engine still rocks a fair bit on new standard rear mounts and a front VT, but that rocking is cushioning a lot of forces that the subframe and shell would have to take the strain of and I've seen a fair few sheared front engine mount brackets to know why mounts are designed with some movement in them.

The worst thing I ever did was fit a stiffer rear main engine mount, it wasn't a VT one but a solid rubber GSF passat mount, it was terrible, as the mount sits in the subframe bolted beneath your feet, the whole car shook and rattled at idle and was only slightly better whilst driving.

For a comfortable daily driver I'd agree with the above and say go for all OEM/FEBI.

If you wan't some improvement on gearshift with some vibtation go for just a front VT.

If you want very good changes but can live with vibration-white-finger and want to replace brackets/front cross member mountings from time to time then go solid front/all VT, but don't blame me when you snap a CV joint :lol:

Never snapped a cv, mount, or anything it just did what it should do. I have only heard of mounts snapping when a solid front mount is used on the front.

Im not posting all these replies to say there is no trade off its perfect but for me the pros out weighed the very slight minimal cons.

those vt mounts are a complete rip off for what they do. Im a big fan of the solid ally front mount and standard rear 2. Theres FA engine movement and a small amount of vibration through the pedals. thats about it. Remember to change the bushes on the front subframe as well, these often get overlooked

you do need to bear in mind what is taking the force of the engine movement under acceleration and gear changes, if it's not the mounts absorbing the energy it's something else, that would be the subframe/brackets, CV joints, gearbox, front crossmember bushes etc...

It's much the same as fitting aftermarket suspension, stiffer springs and dampers will wear your top mounts faster.

The extra vibration is a constant annoyance, other parts failing might only happen rarely but could cost you a lot more.

Pay your money and make your choice, like I said I'm not totally against stiffer mounts, but there are pros and cons.

Some people like all poly bushes, others find them far too harsh and unforgiving.

Few of us have ever driven a nearly new corrado, or one with all new VAG suspension and drivetrain components, they were pretty good from the factory TBH.

Your all old and fugly lol.

Anyways i am also a fan of the poly bushes and with the mounts all together.

I was told that the road version VT's are not much stiffer than new OE mounts and that the competitions are much better so maybe that is why you say they are no good veedub???????

well they are still rubber with metal ring in them. apparently they dont last long either. For the money you spend (over £200 for a full set isnt it?) theres better ways of doing it for less money. A solid ally mount is, what £40?

if you like your poly bushes fit them to the front subframe as well, because these are effectively part of the front engine mount. Tightens things up nicely 8)

Had mine on for 4 years and they still felt as tight as the day i bought them, i also like the fact that they are rubber still as it will still allow slight movement in them as to not break the mount on the subframe and also the other 2 mounts will take up some more movement.

OE will feel stiff and renewed and much better than worn OE bushes.

VT will be alot stiffer with slight cabin vibration, but much improved engine control, gear change feel improved.

Solid mount will increase the above but run the risk of sudden mount snappage.

Westside is da best

Eastside is da best

Upto you what you wanna do????????????????

Well I went to my local steelers today to get some prices for parts and the VW mounts are ruffly the same price and more than the VT ones

VW mounts:

Front mount £140.87 Part No. 3357199279B

Rear mounts £137.75 Part No. 535199262

Gear box mount £41.95 Part No. 357199381C

VT Mounts

Front mount http://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/parts/part-details.asp?id=333

Rear engine mount http://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/parts/part-details.asp?id=335

Gearbox mount http://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/parts/part-details.asp?id=336

Only the VT gear box mount costs more then the VW one.

Yeah, was going to say the VT ones are slightly cheaper than VAG altho they don't last as long, you can change the inserts on them for not much at all...

VWspares sell some good stuff but I'd stay well clear of any non genuine rubber stuff like bushes and mounts - the Febi stuff tends to last a year or 2 at best when VAG lasts 8-12 years!

Well I went to my local steelers today to get some prices for parts and the VW mounts are ruffly the same price and more than the VT ones

VW mounts:

Front mount £140.87 Part No. 357 199 279B

Well - if anyone wants one of these I've got one sat here brand new, boxed & never used.

Genuine VW part.

Half price??

are we talkin about standard or modded engines would the vt mounts become more important with say a 300 hp vr6 or keep oe ?

cheers mort

VW mounts:

Front mount £140.87 Part No. 357 199 279B

Well - if anyone wants one of these I've got one sat here brand new, boxed & never used.

Genuine VW part.

Half price??

Might be interested. Will be in contact asap if I am or not.