Sign in to follow this  
Josh Waddi

Cooling Issue - Updated. URGENT

Hi People

Just need some advice on what my issue could have been this morn. After de-icing the outer and INNER!! of the C i set off to work in the minus 8 degree temps and i didnt get far when the temp light came on.

I was getting just warmish air from the vents and had topped the water in the tank up the day before. but i can possibly be certain there was no anti-freeze in the water. All the water had gone from the tank and smell from the engine was very warm. i presume it was the lack of anit-freeze, but i dont want to just presume. Any advise, tips or abuse welcome.

Thanks

Hi People

Just need some advice on what my issue could have been this morn. After de-icing the outer and INNER!! of the C i set off to work in the minus 8 degree temps and i didnt get far when the temp light came on.

I was getting just warmish air from the vents and had topped the water in the tank up the day before. but i can possibly be certain there was no anti-freeze in the water. All the water had gone from the tank and smell from the engine was very warm. i presume it was the lack of anit-freeze, but i dont want to just presume. Any advise, tips or abuse welcome.

Thanks

was there any water coming out from under the car? any steam in the engine compartment?

might just be the very cold temps (and so high resistances) in the wiring and connectors, I get the odd funny flicker from the dash in cold temps, but the header tank and sender and the rest of the cooling system is fine.

If you have needed to add water/coolant, then it's going somewhere!

Lets hope you did have enough strength of antifreeze to protect the engine though.

might just be the very cold temps (and so high resistances) in the wiring and connectors, I get the odd funny flicker from the dash in cold temps, but the header tank and sender and the rest of the cooling system is fine.

If you have needed to add water/coolant, then it's going somewhere!

Lets hope you did have enough strength of antifreeze to protect the engine though.

that's what worries me... the water had to have gone somewhere... unless the tank was RELAY low to begin with and the water in the bottle just sat there until the water pump was switched on. Tis a worry :( hope you find something simple mate

Hi People

Thanks

was there any water coming out from under the car? any steam in the engine compartment?[/quote:5emj341g]

Hi Alex

Didn't really look into it that much but when i popped the bonnet there was steam coming from the lower part of the engine, say between the rad and belts. I just threw a load of swear words at it and drove 0.2m back home.

Hi People

Thanks

was there any water coming out from under the car? any steam in the engine compartment?[/quote:3ftq847p]

Hi Alex

Didn't really look into it that much but when i popped the bonnet there was steam coming from the lower part of the engine, say between the rad and belts. I just threw a load of swear words at it and drove 0.2m back home.[/quote:3ftq847p]

1.8 16V right? Could be the short 5" ish pipe that goes between the pump and the metal coolant pipe. Mine went and had steam in around the same place, and apparently if it's not been replaced before it's known to go (normally when you switch the engine off) because it's also the one nearest the engine. Have a feel around for a tear in it.

Hi People

Thanks

was there any water coming out from under the car? any steam in the engine compartment?[/quote:20kd6vdx]

Hi Alex

Didn't really look into it that much but when i popped the bonnet there was steam coming from the lower part of the engine, say between the rad and belts. I just threw a load of swear words at it and drove 0.2m back home.[/quote:20kd6vdx]

either a busted pipe or radiator mate. I wouldn't drive her unless you need to. Running out of coolant even in winter isn't a good idea. just pray that its a pipe and not the rad. Set of OEM pipes isnt that much i dont think

either a busted pipe or radiator mate. I wouldn't drive her unless you need to. Running out of coolant even in winter isn't a good idea. just pray that its a pipe and not the rad. Set of OEM pipes isnt that much i dont think

OEM pipes are expensive, very expensive, if you're talking about a full set.

Cheaper to buy performance ones if you want to replace the whole lot in one go.

fill it up again, start the engine and look for the leak!

if your doing this put a VERY small amount of fairy liquid in the water, you'll see the bubbles before you see steam. just make sure to empty the water befor you top her up with coolant. Detergent isnt known for its cooling or anti freeze properties!!

realy? I thought you could get each hose for about £5?? or am i talking nonsense..

edit: i just looked and the longest hose is going for £6.50 from Volks apart. the short one near the LHS is £3. and a new rad is £38.

Dunno is they are after market or VAG parts. Still.. could be worse

realy? I thought you could get each hose for about £5?? or am i talking nonsense..

edit: i just looked and the longest hose is going for £6.50 from Volks apart. the short one near the LHS is £3. and a new rad is £38.

Dunno is they are after market or VAG parts. Still.. could be worse[/quote:2s5rlrz8]

If it's from volks apart the chances are it's from cars that have been broken (if new then definately not OEM). Dealers charge about £30 for the cheapest hose up to about £60 for the one that connects to the flange on the front of the block. People like GSF only tend to do the rad hoses not the other smaller ones.

If it's from volks apart the chances are it's from cars that have been broken (if new then definately not OEM). Dealers charge about £30 for the cheapest hose up to about £60 for the one that connects to the flange on the front of the block. People like GSF only tend to do the rad hoses not the other smaller ones.

lol! quite a difference! why anyone would pay that for a few rubber hoses is beyond me!

Cheers for the replys guys, will be having a look this eve.

Just for info purposes whats the worst damage i could have done damage wise here? rad? gasket??

Thanks

Just for info purposes whats the worst damage i could have done damage wise here? rad? gasket??

Thanks

worst would be head gasket if you let it run to long with no coolant but I wouldn't jump to conclusions.

check the oil using the dip stick, if it looks creamy or frothy then thats bad news... if not then open your water bottle, start your engine and give the bottle a sniff, if your head gasket has gone you should smell exhaust in the coolant, if thats a no top up the coolant replace the cap and let the engine get up to temp, then let the engine cool until you can squeeze the hoses easily (low water pressure).open up the water vessel again and see if there is any frothy, milky crap floating about or rainbow patterns over the surface.

If not then just chillax and pray its just a couple of hoses that needs replacing

Thanks

worst would be head gasket if you let it run to long with no coolant but I wouldn't jump to conclusions.

check the oil using the dip stick, if it looks creamy or frothy then thats bad news... if not then open your water bottle, start your engine and give the bottle a sniff, if your head gasket has gone you should smell exhaust in the coolant, if thats a no top up the coolant replace the cap and let the engine get up to temp, then let the engine cool until you can squeeze the hoses easily (low water pressure).open up the water vessel again and see if there is any frothy, milky crap floating about or rainbow patterns over the surface.

If not then just chillax and pray its just a couple of hoses that needs replacing[/quote:2idrtvv4]

Cheers again Alex

Yeah im hoping nothing more than a replacement hose.

lol! quite a difference! why anyone would pay that for a few rubber hoses is beyond me!

Because they last a long, long time. I replaced my first hose after sixteen years. The GSF replacement lasted two if it was lucky. Needles to say a visit to VW was the next step.

Because they last a long, long time. I replaced my first hose after sixteen years. The GSF replacement lasted two if it was lucky. Needles to say a visit to VW was the next step.

I agree, even the ones most exposed to engine heat last a good 10 years with high mileage.

Another option though is something like the silicon off-the-shelf lengths and elbows that SFS hoses sell, most are around a tenner and even the most complex bends can be replicated with regular and reducing elbows with alloy connectors, you can also go for black if you want to roughly match existing OEM hoses.

I agree, even the ones most exposed to engine heat last a good 10 years with high mileage.

Another option though is something like the silicon off-the-shelf lengths and elbows that SFS hoses sell, most are around a tenner and even the most complex bends can be replicated with regular and reducing elbows with alloy connectors, you can also go for black if you want to roughly match existing OEM hoses.

that would win my vote! im all for cheapness!

Right guys,

ive put water in the tank and its pissed out underneath. cant see much coz of the snow.

I can see water dripping from under the cambelt. is there any pipes round there??

there's several hoses near there, bottom radiator to waterpump (and then the plastic thermostat housing)

the water pump itself (which can eventuall go,and leak)

and then two more hoses from water pump, one is the large 3 way hose that is most visible and goes up to the head front flange

and the short hose that often pops, which goes from pump to metal water pipe

all of these will probably cause water to run to the area you described

there's several hoses near there, bottom radiator to waterpump (and then the plastic thermostat housing)

the water pump itself (which can eventuall go,and leak)

and then two more hoses from water pump, one is the large 3 way hose that is most visible and goes up to the head front flange

and the short hose that often pops, which goes from pump to metal water pipe

all of these will probably cause water to run to the area you described

Thanks David, it will have to wait till this weekend before i can jack it up and have a look. Are the pipes/waterpump costly to replace?