Sign in to follow this  
mort1414

vr6 sounds very poorly >vid<

had to get recovered by rac yesterday as engine sounds like this

Video067.3gp[/attachment:20hw5uc1]

what do people think tapets??

cheers mort

Sounds worse than tappets.

What else is it doing? What's the oil pressure like? What has it had done to it?

sounds to me like big end shell gone,and knocking, check oil level, i would suggest taking the sump off and inspecting the shell bearings for play and damage, thats too loud for hydraulic lifter/tappet noise.check oil on removal for swarf and metal debris! :gag: :?

oil level is fine it really does sound like noise is in the top end probaly rear bank but im no expert at all,there was a slight increase in oil temperature and the car drove as normal no loss in power.

thnx for the help mort

Have you checked the plugs?

I had a plug blow out last year and it sounded like that at idle, and alot like a beetle when on the move.

Andy

He says it's not down on power so it's unlikely to be a blown plug.

Given that you say there was a slight rise in oil temperature I would say that the damage is bearing related. Something is getting very hot somewhere for there to be a noticeable rise in the temperature and my bet would be a big-end bearing somewhere, likely to be followed shortly by mains, little ends and camshaft bearings etc if you keep running the engine in that condition.

Sorry to say but it doesn't sound like anything that can be sorted by an oil change or anything that simple. I would say that it's a least a sump off and inspect it job, likely to be followed by an engine removal and replacement/rebuild.

If you can do the work yourself you could probably pick up a decent engine and rebuild it with new shells, chains etc for a grand or maybe a bit more, or just fit a known good engine and jobs a good'un.

Hope that helps a bit.

Tom