Sign in to follow this  
marmite monster

doing a road trip around europe need some help.

have started planning an epic road trip arround europe in august going to the ring then down to the stelvio pass ,via the street pariad in zurich then lake garda then monaco just have no idear what to do on the return leg may stop in geniva but thats about all ive got so far . anyone got any idears.? only got to weeks total and need to fill about 4 days from monaco back home. was thinking of doing it in a bmw e46 cab roof down the whole way :D but im open to suggestions.

cheers

si

i'd stick nice on (since your knocking on it's door) and lyon, especially lyon as my french friends say that is one of the most beautiful cities in france.

I'd have been tempted to add tuscany in after lake garda but then you'd end up doing the whole of italy :)

If you're going to Lake Garda its not THAT far down south to Maranello, calling in at Imola, if only to see the Senna statue, part of my pilgrimage every time I go to Lake Garda, going west you can call in at Monza. Worth going up the cable car at Malcesine on Lake Garda, Malcesine also has two awesome model car shops. A trip round the lake is worthwhile with some epic tunnels on the western side of the lake. Milan is not really worth a visit.

If you're into culture then the home of the Italian poet D'Annuzio is worth a visit, just plain weird house but fascinating

awsome thats the kind of advice im after.we are taking the girls so its not a boys driving holiday we are sneeking in the ring and stelvio pass :D want sort of stuff like helicopter rides over mountains,massive water falls the worlds longest zip line stuff like that :D a full on adventure!

Feel free to drop me a PM if you want the heads up on Northern Italy, been there more times than I care to remember and have a reasonable knowledge of the area. Another place to visit is Brescia, home of the start / finish of the Mille Miglia and the Tazio Nuvolari museum - Verona, great shopping to keep the girls happy. Good amusement park (Gardaland) is near Pescharia at the bottom of Lake Garda - I could go on

check this out..

i've added Verona, so close to Lake Garda and unmissable, especially if you're taking partners. Also added the Millau Bridge, doesnt get you closer to home, but the route up through paris from there would give you another stop off..

TBH Stelivio is good but not that good..... the roads that lead to it are far superior. Your best bet is put the places you want to go into googlemaps (as suggested) that is what we did (thanks Mark) this year & it was sweet as!! All we aimed for were the most spageti like roads & it was heaven!! 8)

TBH Stelivio is good but not that good..... the roads that lead to it are far superior. Your best bet is put the places you want to go into googlemaps (as suggested) that is what we did (thanks Mark) this year & it was sweet as!! All we aimed for were the most spageti like roads & it was heaven!! 8)

Agreed, the Stelvio pass wasn't all that, the roads after it (going in to Switzerland) were much better though!

I did a europe trip in the corrado in 2008 with my mate in his 350Z. We went to Amsterdam, Osnabruck (for obvious reasons), Wolfsburg (VW), then down Germany visiting a few places like Nurnberg, Ingolstadt (Audi), Munich. Then in to Austria, down in to Italy (where my Rotrex packed up!), whilst in Italy we visited the Lake Garda which was really nice, also went to Modena to visit the Ferrari and Lambo museums. Then we went up in to Switzerland via the Stelvio Pass to Davos, through Switzerland to Lake Geneva which was also really nice. Then in to France, south to the Gorge Du Verdon which was lush. Then back up France home. We were going to go Monaco and across the south of France a bit more but my Rotrex packing up took up about 4 days!!

We went for 16 days I think and it was awesome! We basically knew the rough route we wanted to go and then just followed sat nav to locations and booked hotels on the way via the web.

Well the mileage was slightly less for me than my mate as mine was off the road for a few days waiting for a part when my charger packed up, but I think about 3000-3500 miles in total which is about 10 fill ups so not cheap really, I think it was about £600-700 roughly for fuel.

I've attached a few pics of the Stelvio Pass, and a couple of others. I've got loads of pics and every time I look through them I want to do it again so badly as it was just an awesome trip!

oh my god cant :D wait seeing your pics is awsome ! 10 tanks wooooo thats alot.

realy want to do it in a corrado or my mk2 16v but dont want to break down so im thinking bmw 320d m sport touring or a 330cab roof off in the sunshine ..epic!

anymore pics of the rado in action?

looks like we did a similar route but in reverse Rob

we started in France and ended up in Roterdam. and it WILL be done again..... what a rush

looks like we did a similar route but in reverse Rob

we started in France and ended up in Roterdam. and it WILL be done again..... what a rush

Yeah it was the best thing I've done, I've been on holidays all my life and been few places throughout europe but to drive it is a completely different experience and I will definitely do it again!

Gorge Du Verdon - looks awsome is it worth including on my route?

added it to my map

It is a stunning place to see, not an awful lot to do really unless you are a climber but just to drive round it's got some stunning scenery. I'm glad we went, it's not exactly miles off course really if heading down to Nice/Monaco, or you could come that way up or something.

8) Some good info here, me and my mate were planning a european trip last summer but unfortunately the TT's reliability wasnt filling me with confidence and work took over.

Has to be done in the corrado though, but theres always that feeling of breaking down which I only know too well.

DSCF0506.jpg

Ring trip num:2