Sign in to follow this  
V33DUB

8v Front Brakes

Hi all! My front pads and discs are gonna need doing in the near future and as my calipers are rusty and in need of some love I was wondering if it's worth upgrading the brakes to the 280mm G60 jobs? Is it the same deal as upgrading from the 16v set up so I'd need G60 calipers, carriers, discs and pads?

Cheers

Yup, that's right. Worthwhile upgrade too, did it on my 8V and I felt a lot more confident about driving in general with decent stopping power. The 256's are pretty rubbish in my opinion.

The 280's will fit under pretty much all 15" wheels too.

You need Carriers and Calipers from a 280mm car - ie a Corrado G60 / VR6 / Golf MK3 GTI / Seat Ibiza etc

Then 4 stud G60 discs and Pads.

It's worthwhile getting the rebuild kit from TPS for the calipers too. Only about £12 ish and it's worth it for the peace of mind and it's a piece of cake to change the seals.

I think I did my 280 conversion for around £120 including genuine discs, pads, the rebuild kit, braided hoses and the cost of the carriers and calipers. It is possible to use the 256mm calipers but you'll need to use the 256mm pads with a bit of material removed because the 280mm disc is 2mm wider than the 256. To save hassle later on it's best to just use the 280mm calipers though.

Oh, I also got new rubber dust shields for the caliper sliding bolts too, simply because they tend to perish and let water in, I think they're about £4 for a set of 4.

HTH

Tom

Yeah same 'late' MK3 style hoses you already have
Hi, sorry! Full of questions! Looking at different sets on the net there are 4 line or 6 line kits... Goodridge seem to be 6 lines, HEL differ between 4 or 6 lines depending on model. I'm assuming that there are 2 front, 2 rear and the other 2 go to something else? Confused.com

6 altogether on a Corrado:

- 2 for the front calipers.

- 2 for the pivot on the rear beam.

- 2 for the rear calipers.

I just bought a set for a Corrado G60.

Tom