Sign in to follow this  
jaded2882

Driving experience days- advice please

I'm hoping to get one partly as a birthday present this year. I would really like to do the GTR and R8. Just wanted to ask what the best companies to go with are?

The best value one looks like this:

http://www.everymanracing.co.uk/experie ... ce-weekday

as most of the other ones with 2 cars are £200 plus.

BUT I have heard some people say they have been held back by the instructors from going fast :cuckoo: and use hammered cars with loads of faults. So I didn't want to shell out £140 and feel ripped off. Any ideas which companies let you rip in their cars and have the best tracks etc.?

I'd have a look in the search mate.. been a lot of driving experience discussion threads come up over the last few years. I've created two myself and contributed to a number of them!

The R8 is an awesome drive by the way.. be interested to hear what you think of it once you've done it. I reckon it felt just like a Corrado... but about 4x better! :)

The R8 is an awesome drive by the way.. be interested to hear what you think of it once you've done it. I reckon it felt just like a Corrado... but about 4x better! :)

Ye, I saw you reccommend it in another thread. Just hope I'm confident enough to push it as the G60 is the fastest thing I've ever driven! :lol: And I've never done a track day or anything like that.

Think it's about time I got on a track as I got pulled and told off by the police for the first time ever the other day :nono:

They don't really like you to push the cars on the corners (understandably... most people are rocking up in Saxo VTR's and expecting to unleash cars with 4-8x the horsepower) but on the straights you can pretty much foot to floor it.

But the R8 is superbly confidence inspiring.. very sure footed, awesome brakes, awesome acceleration... I even had to brake and swerve to avoid a pheasant which casually strolled onto the track as I was tearing down the straight at over 100MPH - easily avoided and controlled with no drama.

Stunning car.

They don't really like you to push the cars on the corners (understandably... most people are rocking up in Saxo VTR's and expecting to unleash cars with 4-8x the horsepower) but on the straights you can pretty much foot to floor it.

That's fine by me- I doubt I'll feel confident enough to push on the corners but I do want to feel the power!

But the R8 is superbly confidence inspiring.. very sure footed, awesome brakes, awesome acceleration... I even had to brake and swerve to avoid a pheasant which casually strolled onto the track as I was tearing down the straight at over 100MPH - easily avoided and controlled with no drama.

Stunning car.

Fast and wildlife friendly! I like it. I'll let you know my thoughts when I've done it, I imagine summer is the most sensible time.

Just add to the debate:

IMHO you gotta have done a single-seater track day once. Yup, those little Formula 1 lookalikes, that do handle almost like one.

I went with a company called Racing School at the Rockingham track near Corby. Great fun, and hasten to add that none in our group had rocked up in chav-style cars, all were what I would call more matured already :D Granted, my Rado was about the only attractive car in the massive car park 8)

Tempest

Ive got an R8 day that im going on over the summer, thats with driversdreamdays.co.uk, well looking forward to it!

A chap at work has done a few now. You're right about some places holding you back though, he did one in a Ferrari and and once he reached 3rd gear the instructor flicked a lock type thing onto the gear lever to stop him from dropping it down a gear, basically 3rd was the lowest gear he could get. It was to stop him from nailing the car out the corners, as a result it struggled out of some of the tighter bends. Some places also run the cars in limp mode, so you dont get the full 500bhp+ of the engine.

Its just a case of research really, some places are like that, whereas some places are top notch.

Booked for 8th July, GTR and R8, can't wait :norty: The missus is coming with me so will get some pics and video