Sign in to follow this  
pebisit

head unit wiring colours

Sorry, more questions

Set up a new head unit, but I have 2 questions

1) What is the OE colour for the dimming wire on the Rado at the head unit

2) Does the aerial need a power lead, and if so, what colour is that??

Thanks for all the help, by the way

Phil

Colours are:

Red - Permanent live

Brown - Ground/negative

Brown/Red - Switched live (ignition)

Grey/Blue - Instrument panel lighting (that's the one you're after)

Blue/White - Speed signal for automatic volume control

Watch out for the speed signal wire, if it shorts to the metalwork of the car, it stops the spoiler working. Also IIRC the connections for live and switched live are the opposite way round in the VW loom to the ISO standard, so if you find the H/U doesn't keep it's memory, that's why... Perversely, the early owners manual gives the list of colours (p.107) but by 1995 when my VR6 was built, they'd removed it from the text!! :brickwall:

The aerial may need a power lead, depends on the car I think, some of the aerial bases have a booster circuit in them, my old G60 has one and there's a black wire going from the car's iso connector to the aerial cable, presumably the oem headunits had a power output for this? I don't know if that's the same as the "power aerial" outputs found on some H/U's (like my nakamichi) as I was under the impression that those only give out a brief pulse when the tuner is switched to, in order to raise a retracted electric aerial. I spliced the aerial power lead into the switched live on my G60, but it never made much difference to the cr*p radio reception - the boosters in the aerial bases are notorious for corroding and ceasing to work, I think you can open them up and bypass the booster, but never got round to doing it myself. Curiously my VR6 doesn't appear to have a powered aerial, and the radio reception has been consistently great...

Mods - Is this worth a sticky? I've got 3 corrado manuals (don't ask) and the radio info gets less as time goes on - 1991 they tell you the code, by 1996 it says little more than "want a different radio? Go see your vw dealer" ! :roll: