Sign in to follow this  
V33DUB

Buying a car for someone else? V5?

Hi! A bloke at work is buying a car for his mom... well I say buying, she is paying and she will be the owner and keeper but she's old and he has the job of finding the car and agreeing the sale etc. Does she need to be there at the final sale / handover to sign anything?

Technically i think its the keeper that signs the V5, The owner and keeper can be differrent as in the case of a lease where you may be a registered keeper and responsible for fines etc but not the actual owner. Cars can be bought in other peoples names but i guess if you are signing as someone else that maybe fraudulent. Cant he just take his mom along once hes found one to buy??

Technically i think its the keeper that signs the V5, The owner and keeper can be differrent as in the case of a lease where you may be a registered keeper and responsible for fines etc but not the actual owner. Cars can be bought in other peoples names but i guess if you are signing as someone else that maybe fraudulent. Cant he just take his mom along once hes found one to buy??
You aint met his mom! haha. Yeah I think that's his plan now... he was looking at ones a fair few miles away but as his old dear is.... lets say stubborn and "difficult" he's searching close to home now. Cheers for the info :wink:

ive signed away cars to mates myself.

i dont think they actually check the signature.

as long as the address/details are legit and the person actually wants the car its ok in my book......

I am not saying people dont do it but legally its the registered keeper and the new registered keeper who sign the V5. Anyone can write what they like on the V5, but if you sign as the registered keeper and you aren't then you are potentially comitting fraud. I dont really care as i have done similar in the past. Just playing devils advocate :norty: