Sign in to follow this  
dadoogie

Quick brake question

My rear calipers are dying so im thinking of doing the mk4 conversion. Had a look at the thread but there is one thing im unsure of. The discs and wheels used are 5 stud and im not really looking at changing hubs and what not. I've looked around with some noob style research and found that the calipers take 280x22mm discs, the g60 front discs are this size and are 4 studd, is this ok? Also being 10mm thicker will it cause any problems fouling the wheel?

Thanks.

My rear calipers are dying so im thinking of doing the mk4 conversion. Had a look at the thread but there is one thing im unsure of. The discs and wheels used are 5 stud and im not really looking at changing hubs and what not. I've looked around with some noob style research and found that the calipers take 280x22mm discs, the g60 front discs are this size and are 4 studd, is this ok? Also being 10mm thicker will it cause any problems fouling the wheel?

Thanks.

I'm a little confused by what you aim to do. Quite simply a MKIV rear caliper conversion just requires the right flexible brake lines (you need to get these specially to run off a 'rado system) onto the new caliper. Its then a straight swap of calipers - has nothing to do with the disc/hub, nothing at all to do with the number of studs.

Now if you intend swapping discs for 11" rotors--- thats very, very different. There are two routes (1) buy the 11" upgrade from the US or (2) obtain a kit to mount a Mkiv/tt caliper set upon the 11" front rotors slipped over a hub thats been machined down. (1) has the problem of relying upon a specially machined disc, which - if they stop making it - means you are stuck. The latter approach requires an adaptor for the caliper mount as well, but that gives you a better set up. Look up 11" rear upgrades on the forum and theres lots of information...

So what youre saying, if i get this right, is: I wouldnt need to uprate to bigger brake discs, i could stay at the 226mm rear discs while using the new calipers, i just thought i would require the same size discs that the mk4 uses.

No - the issues is that A2/3 chassis cars use a taper bearing setup at the rear where the bearing is pressed into the disk...

For a 'full' MK4 style brake setup on a 4 stud you need a whole load of parts from a Lupo.

I would just stick with the MK4 calipers and the original type disks and pads - works well and all you need is the goodridge conversion hoses to fit.