Sign in to follow this  
jack-gtir

single pulley conversion

as above what do i need to convert my double water pump pulley to single set up on my 16v ? ( VW told me the double pulley has now been discond and is no longer avalable :( ) part numbrs would be a huge help to

thanks - jack

I want to do this at some stage, as my double pulley is very rattly. You can also get the double pulley welded.

the full late KR and 9A setup requires a different PAS pump, waterpump pulley, outer crank pulley and new length belts.

welding up the idler pulley isn't a great idea as the waterpump and alternator belts on an early KR setup will run at very slightly different speeds as belts and pulleys wear, this will then increase wear on the parts.

It might be possible to run the KR PAS pump directly and only from the KR outer crank pulley, for some reason the 9a used a pulley and pas pump pulley that sticks out further??? - but I'd like to compare the 9A and KR pulley sizes first as it could make a difference if the KR ones are smaller as the belt would turn very tightly if only driving the PAS pump.

So you may be able to get away with just a 9A waterpump pulley.

You might also want to look at a ribbed belt setup as on the mk3 16v, but that uses a different alternator, you may be able to get a ribbed belt pulley for the bosch type alternator, not sure.

Are you sure you can't get hold of the early KR waterpump idler pulley, I bought a new one from VolksApart once, was less than half the price VW quoted.

You can put a solid water pump pulley Part.no. V027 121 031 on any 4 cyl engine, it works and I've had no problems in 2 years on my KR 8)

Sooooo much quieter you wish you'd done it years ago!!!