Sign in to follow this  
devnull

Motor Swap

I was sure this would have been asked somewhere, but my searches yield nothing ;)

My VR6 is getting up there in age and mileage and so I've been thinking of my options for when its time comes. I'm curious about the feasibility of mounting a newer 20V 1.8t in place of my VR6. (It's a '92)

I thought that perhaps if the mounts for the 1.8t are anywhere near those of the VR6 that it might be possible to make it work. Does anyone know of anyone having luck with this type of a swap and if so any photos people might have?

Theres at least 2 people here with Corrados fitted with the 20V Turbo lumps...

20 V Turbo (Andy) and 20vee_t(Amy) both have Yellow 20V Turbo Corrados (different ones!) and are pretty active here, they're the people to ask about the swap... 8)

There's other people here too, but I'm not as sure of their user names, and the two names above make it pretty obvious what they drive! :lol: :wink: 8)

I was sure this would have been asked somewhere, but my searches yield nothing ;)

My VR6 is getting up there in age and mileage and so I've been thinking of my options for when its time comes. I'm curious about the feasibility of mounting a newer 20V 1.8t in place of my VR6. (It's a '92)

I thought that perhaps if the mounts for the 1.8t are anywhere near those of the VR6 that it might be possible to make it work. Does anyone know of anyone having luck with this type of a swap and if so any photos people might have?

The engine will go in on the original mounts,

You may need to get custom drive shafts made, thats what i have in mine, althouh i think some of the other 20vt owners have managed to use the original drive shafts, but they may of used g60 driveshafts, not sure

That's good news, I was hoping that would be the answer I got :D

How do you like it with the 20V in there, and how much hassle was the wiring job (and the rest of it too if you'd share your trouble spots, etc)?

Thanks for the response guys :mrgreen:

I bought my corrado with the conversion already done, and havent had any problems with it, i used to have a 16v corrado, and my 20vt feels lighter, and its cheaper to run than my old 16v

My 20vt uses the complete runing gear (engine, gearbox, ecu, dash clocks) from a mk4 golf20vt, but i know some or one other 20vt owners use a fully programable aftermarket ecu

devnull

i did the 20vt swap last year,it is a easy enough swap mechanicaly as the 20v motor drops sraight in on the same motor mounts.if you do the swap stick with the 20v gearbox and all your gear linkages are near enough the same,the driveshaft output flanges on the 20v gearbox are 108mm you need 100mm(if its an o2j box you need part number o2a 409 355d) as for the cluth just swap your slave cylinder over.the downpipe from the turbo will have to be reshaped as it does not fit,all i did was cut and welded it so that it did fit.as for engine management i used a haltech which is fully programable,its not bad to wire up you just need to be carefull and take your time but it is all worth the effort at the end :D :D ,look in the member gallery to see some pictures off the cars thet have been mentioned above :D

a 20vt drops in on VR mounts?? i find that strangely hard to believe actually.

Why? The VR uses the same mounting points as all the other 1.8 and 2.0 'rados and the 20V is based around essentially the same block layout as those... :? Why shouldn't it fit straight in?

because i thought it used different mounting points.... thats why i didnt think it wouldnt fit :? :lol:

i knew it would work with the 1,8's, but i was under the impression tha VR's used a completly diferent block

Different block, yup, but the 'rado shell is basically the same for all models year on year.... so same mount points... 8)

thats kind of like sayin a MKI 1.8 GTI engine will fit in a MKI golf 1.1 C cause its a MKI shell, but that aint the case.

Erm, it will... I've done it.... :? You need to change where one of the engine mounts attaches to (think it's the front one, but may be the G/box one, can't remember) but it goes straight it... you need to arse around with fuel pumps and tanks and pipes and the like, but it'll basically just go straight in...

Same as a 1.8 16V drops straight into a MKI 1600 GTI...

no henny, you had to bloody move one!!!!!! you just said, thats my point. it doesnt drop straight in if you have to move, to get it to drop in!!!!!!!!!

and from memory its the gearbox mount :)

Dubster you don't have to move anything if you use the 1.1 gearbox with the 1.8 GTI engine... It's only 'cos of the G/box that it won't fit onto the original 1.1 mounts... :p

Anyway, Sorry guys, we've moved well off topic here. :oops: The long and the short of it is that the 20V turbo will pretty much drop straight into the Corrado (any model!), but you may have to mess around with drive shafts depending on which G/box you decide to use, possibly with fuel systems (dunno about this one!), and definately with wiring! :lol: 8)