Sign in to follow this  
Swompy

Knocking noise.

Today I replaced my two ARB links as one had broken.

before I had noticed a knocking noise coming from the broken ARB side of the car, every time I went over a bump and put it done to the bar nocking against the wish bone.

Fixed it and then took it for a spin and the knocking is still there :confused4:

Every thing looked fine when I was changing the links so cant work it out.

The top mounts where replaced just over a week ago, which is when I noticed the broken ARB link.

rear wishbone bushes ok?

i had one fail, was quite new too, and you could rock the wheel back and forwards, and could see the wishbone moving about, and wheel moving in the arch :lol:

Driveshaft loose? i had one that was loose and threw a couple of the bolts at speed ripping a hole in the gearbox. Would knock under acceleration and braking. They kept getting loose so i ended up putting spring washers under the bolts and so far so good not a loose one yet.

Driveshaft loose? i had one that was loose and threw a couple of the bolts at speed ripping a hole in the gearbox. Would knock under acceleration and braking. They kept getting loose so i ended up putting spring washers under the bolts and so far so good not a loose one yet.

Doesnt make a noise when accelerating or braking so dont think its that.

Im going to DG in just over a week for new track roads so will let them have a look about

Check that the caliper bolts are all present and tight ;) Halfords sell them as a 'brake pad fitting kit' if you are missing one.

Check that the caliper bolts are all present and tight ;) Halfords sell them as a 'brake pad fitting kit' if you are missing one.

Nope all there and tight

:scratch:

Worth checking- I've had this happen on 3 seperate Corrados- makes a very noticeable knocking when one of the bolts works loose/falls out.

Is the circular weight OK on the driver's side driveshaft? Had these work loose before too- just secure it with a jubilee each side.

Worth checking- I've had this happen on 3 seperate Corrados- makes a very noticeable knocking when one of the bolts works loose/falls out.

Is the circular weight OK on the driver's side driveshaft? Had these work loose before too- just secure it with a jubilee each side.

They are fine that side was loose when I got my car so defo not that

Inner track rod joint?

If it is thats being replaced next week any way so will just have to see

I've noticed the knocking only happens at slow speeds like 20mph or less

Anything above 40ish you dont notice it unless its a biggish bump in the road

Exhaust.

I dont know, it sounds like it is coming from the around the drivers front wheel area, some times it feels like something knocking against the body by my foot but could just be me thinking that :confused4:

I know a dud engine mount ( which was replaced :D ) can cause damage to the manifold but dont think it could be that :confused4:

Double check those caliper bolts! Sounds exactly like what you've described!

Right I will do, didnt move when i tryed the with my fingers. will undo them then do them back up again when i get the chance

Does the noise stop under braking?

Cant say I've noticed, will have a listen on the way to work.

Checked your wheel bolts are tight..?! :)

No. Will do that, but preat shore I done them up very tight on sunday after fixing the ARB link.

Knocking still happens under brakeing :(

will jack it up on saturday to check the caliper bolts just to be double shore.

Well we found the cause of the knocking noise whilst at DG.

Turns out the bolt that holds the suspension to the top mount wasnt done up :eek: :mad2:

Also the camber wasnt adjusted after the top mounts were fitted so my wheels looked like this \ \ insted of || :mad2:

All sorted now tho :D

damn, was just going to suggest golf balls rattling around, apparently thats what was causing a strange knocking in Tom's car :D

Was gonna suggest top mounts, but thought they'd be fine as they'd just been done! :shock: :oops:

Who actually did the mounts? I would give Rich a call... not good! Didn't they recommend getting the alignment done? They don't do it themselves, but when I had mine done, he sent me off to Pro-tyre.

damn, was just going to suggest golf balls rattling around, apparently thats what was causing a strange knocking in Tom's car :D

:lol: :cuckoo:

Was gonna suggest top mounts, but thought they'd be fine as they'd just been done! :shock: :oops:

Who actually did the mounts? I would give Rich a call... not good! Didn't they recommend getting the alignment done? They don't do it themselves, but when I had mine done, he sent me off to Pro-tyre.

It was a youge kiddie I cant remember his name ( It might have been Chris) but some one els came and helped him finish off.

No they didnt say anything to me about getting the alignment done. :confused4: