Sign in to follow this  
Conker

Fuel System Cleaner

Hi,

This might seem a bit of a lame question, but hey-ho...

I'll be giving my VR6 a good service soon, and the fuel filter (which looks like it came off the Titanic), is getting replaced. Usually the week before a big service I put a bottle of fuel system cleaner (redex advanced) through, to get the injectors etc. in good condition before the ECU reset (as part of the service it will probably need a new lambda, hence the reset).

Now, as the fuel filter looks so old, am I risking flushing a load of gunk from the filter into the engine? Should I wait until after the service to use the system cleaner? Or I suppose I could change the filter first, use the redex, then do the service the week after?

Or am I being a bit of a puff?

:lol:

Opinions welcome!

Dave

Do the filter. Go fill up with fresh fuel. Put in the cleaner. Do both at the same time with a really hot engine, ie the cat at full temp. Dont load fuel system cleaner onto a cold cat. There's no need to consider getting a new lambda probe unless your fuel consumption has been wildly out or the performance has been naff.

There's no need to consider getting a new lambda probe unless your fuel consumption has been wildly out or the performance has been naff.

Performance from cold is very poor, its a little flat generally, and it smells like its running rich, so I'm changing the blue temp sensor first, then looking at the lambda if things don't improve.