Sign in to follow this  
Guest 16vG60VW

Lumpy running??? Advice needed

Guest 16vG60VW

Hi guys,

Im sorry to pester you with a question, especially as this is my first post. (long time reader, first time poster).

My car is a 95 VR6 Storm.

I drove my car home from work and all fine and dandy as usual but when i went to jump back in literally 5 mins later, my car was running like a bag of nails. Symptoms are lumpy idling and near stalling when pulling off from low revs. You get a momentary pause / jolt and then it takes off again all of a sudden.

Now I know this has been spoken about on here lots and people refer to 'ECU Reset' but how do I do that please? Any links as I cant find the answer?

My car also had a water leak so I have been topping up with water until I could fix the leak and I noticed that the temp guage in the car never really rises above say 80 degrees unless left ticking over. The fans kick in at the right temp and then shut off again acordingly. After reading up, it suggests that maybe the temp senders are covering shat after putting fresh water in all the time etc. Is it a big job to change these? Again any links on how to.

Im going to change the spark plugs and HT leads as they are due, is this a straight forward task on the VR?

Sorry for all the questions but your the experts and Im new to all VR stuff and want the car 100% right before I sell her.

Cheers guys, any help mucho mucho appreciated.

Tobe

ECU - Look in the Wiki but its not the solution to the lumpiness. Its a throttle harmonistation procedure which has little bearing on this problem.

I'd look at ignition leads, coil pack and for worn out plugs first. Ignition leads measure about 5k ohms +/- 1kohm. Look inside plug caps, should be metal clean. Check coil pack for cracks in and around the plug lead sockets and look for arcing tracking marks.

You will need an extended plug cap removal tool as you can't just tug the leads.

Temp sensors is just awkward cos they are down the middle back area of the radiator in line with the engine front corner, but it depend on whether the thermostat housing is brittle with age, so be gentle. Under a little curve cover which just pulls off if it is still fitted.

Guest 16vG60VW

Thanks for that. I have checked the leads and one of them is arcing from the the lead end to the distributor block. Change of HT leads first port of call me thinks. Thanks so much for the advice. Is that tool you mention readily available? Straight forward job to remove the engine cover? Do i just undo the splined bolts and it will come off?

Thanks RW1 top man

Its pretty simple to change the temp sensors, just done it myself tonight infact!!

Housing is just below the coil pack on the right side of the engine, just pull up the retaining clips and pull out the desired sensor, coolant will no doubt come out too. Its no biggie, just a little fiddly, even more so if you have shovels for hands!

Think an ecu 'reset' is just a matter of disconecting the battery for a minute, then reconecting (obviously :lol: )

Think an ecu 'reset' is just a matter of disconecting the battery for a minute, then reconecting

Nonsense! Read the Wiki.

Guest 16vG60VW

Read the Wiki as you advised, what a great tool to help us mere mortals. I have downloaded loads of info.

Thanks guys. Wont do an ECU reset until i can find a volunteer with VAG com first otherwise it seems pointless.

Thanks for the help again.