Sign in to follow this  
pupkin10

serpentine belt Tensioner

I have got a new serpentine belt tensioner to put on my car which I was going to ask mate to do (the bearing was noisy). However, it looks pretty straightforward to swap over. so my question is, is it as easy as it looks ??

As I am not changing the belt itself, do I still need to use a bolt to release the tension in the belt in order to remove and put on the new tensioner ?? I was hoping I could just swap over the parts without releasing the tension etc as this is the bit that would worry me. I am a complete novice when it comes to anything like this and dont want to bugger anything up.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

You will still need to use the bolt to release the tension on the belt, but providing you don't move the belt once the tension is removed it literally is a 5 minute job to unbolt the old tensioner and fit the new one.

You should only need a 13mm socket to do it, just remove the airbox and the tensioner is right there.

If you're still not confident I'm sure someone would be willing to help you out, but if you just take your time it'll be absolutely fine :salute:

Tom

The tensioner is held onto the side of the (aluminium) head with 3 bolts. Be careful not to over torque them as they can easily strip the thread.

Best wishes

RB