Sign in to follow this  
corradog60love

Engine Clean Up Questions

I have a 90 G60. I have been looking at a lot of your guys' engine bay pictures, more specifically the G60 guys, and have seen that there are several that have extremely neat engines. I read a thread about removing the charcoal canister but what else can be removed or deleted to give me that really neat and clean look?

It's quite a hard engine bay to sort out and for me it's the wiring thrown across the top of the engine that really screws it up.

to really clean one up takes quite a bit of work...

Obvious things to remove are the carbon cannister (as you mention) and the boost return pipe which does free up quite a bit of space over the bell housing area, and, if you use a couple of small filters on the breather and ISV, it'll neaten up the cam cover too...

Adding in a front mount intercooler using something like a Rallye/Golf G60 U-Bend charger outlet will neaten up the front of the bay by removing the "big black leaky boxy charger outlet"© and neatly tucking the pipework back under the charger out of sight.

A slim line aftermarket fan saves a shed load of space by the radiator and are usually more efficient/effective than the standard fan too (12" one fits nicely on a G60 with just a couple of brackets needing to be made up). This also gets rid of the big metal fan cowling which really does neaten up the front of the bay...

Then it's a case of tidying up the loom and making sure everything's clipped in properly where it's supposed to go to tidy up the rest of the bay...

You could at that point go a bit more mad and start trying to hide the loom, move the battery to the boot and smooth things off, it just depends how mad you wanna go... 8)

Get a battery jacket from VW- makes a real difference. A new expansion tank also makes a big difference, along with a new style blue cap.