Sign in to follow this  
Josh Waddi

Water Leak

Hello

Ive found a leak from a pipe on my 16V. Just like a pin prick, losing water quick, steamy ect.

What i need is a diagram of the water pipes so i can identify the correct one and get a replcament.

Thankyou

If you can take the part off and take with you to the stealers. The coolant pipe diagrams aint the best and can be confusing even for the experts. I had the same problem as you and the guy at the parts department was glad I took my knackered part in with me.

Strange, for some reason the pic doesnt even show now im at home.

Good idea takin the part down but i use my C as a daily and need the car running for as long as possible.

Are parts still available from VW or is it stealers only?

VW are the stealers...

Yup, you should be able to get it. Otherwise there are quite a few pattern pipes available as most are the same as the MK2.

Register on Vagcat and you can view all the pics and get part numbers & prices!

Thanks for the advice guys, ive got on there and looked at the diagram but im struggling to idenitfy which is the correct hose. ive managed to get a pic which i cant upload either. So if someone could be a life saver and i could txt the image and they could possibly identify the hose or i could try to descibe where it is.... here goes.. 1.8 KR. the hose is directly below the dizzy cap, quite big and thick. (no puns please) at attached to another at the back of the bay by a metal join.

Hope someone can help please.

Hi

Thanks for your reply, would you say your very sure its number 7 before i get it ordered? ive had my mates look and none of us can identify it. Probably because we have no knowledge on motors.

My last idea would be for me to txt the picture to someone who could possibly post it up here?? Just tried myself but my phone is poo.

Cheers

Hi

Thanks for your reply, would you say your very sure its number 7 before i get it ordered? ive had my mates look and none of us can identify it. Probably because we have no knowledge on motors.

My last idea would be for me to txt the picture to someone who could possibly post it up here?? Just tried myself but my phone is poo.

Cheers

Hi mate, I'll PM u my number now so u can do that ok?

it the heater matrix pipe 16.

you will have to get the whole pipe that goes from the block to the firewall then cut it to refit the metal valve ( its a recall pressure valve - the metal bit with a small bore pipe coming off it - that you could scrap if you want to BUT you would also need the other pipe 17 from the fire wall to the block so that you can remove the other part of the valve - the black bit)

it the heater matrix pipe 16.

you will have to get the whole pipe that goes from the block to the firewall then cut it to refit the metal valve ( its a recall pressure valve - the metal bit with a small bore pipe coming off it - that you could scrap if you want to BUT you would also need the other pipe 17 from the fire wall to the block so that you can remove the other part of the valve - the black bit)

Thanks D-Bug. so i can just buy the pipe (16) and nothing more, give it to my mechaninc and he can fix it. That simple?

Also would this cause my heaters to blow warm air instead of hot? and my dials steam up every now and again. This could have been the cause.

Checked vac-cat and theres no part number for 16 or 17. does anyone have any suggestions.

you may have a split heater matrix - thats what the valves were fitted in line for.

steam on dials could be down to the recent weather and the bulbs warming up and causing a fine condensation ( mine does it on cold mornings)

check your passenger footwell - is it damp near the firewall/on top of the 'tunnel' ? if yes then a good chance the matrix has a leak.

if its dry then the warm air could be down to the water loss/air getting in your split pipe. i would replace both pipes and omit the valves to start ( they do seize up over time - i have just had to ditch mine similar fault ).

if she gets to temp and you get hot air then job done, if not then its a case of checking system/cables - good luck , if matrix is fubar then its a dash dismantle job.

Can you not just go to VW? Take the pic, (or even better!) the car with you? It's a pretty obvious hose tbh.

I know, just being lazy, he said theres only 2 to choose from, feeder and retun, so he ordered both and then will check when i take the car to collect.

Cheers for the help lads.