Sign in to follow this  
Lee1873

my aqua vr..engine out

My 1st post about my current daily chariot which is a 1994 aqua blue vr6, bought it in november with no tax or mot & needing a matrix & a few other odds n sods.

I got it motd fairly easily but there was still a few jobs looming, got the matrix out of the way 1st, managed to do it with the guide from here without taking the dash out :clap: :clap: :clap:

The clutch felt fairly ropey although no slip or anything the bite just wasnt very good so I had ordered a clutch in December & its lay there since.....right until yesterday morning when the clutch in the car gave up completely.

Limped home with the car & as I had a few jobs to do on the engine I decided to whip it out complete with box :gag:

I had been gathering new parts with this in mind over the past few months including engine mounts, oil cooler gaskets, sump gasket, crack pipe etc.

Started @ 10am this morning & just about managed to get it back in before dark o'clock :sleeping:

heres a few pics of some of the stuff i had to do....

engine box out complete with downpipe

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

had a bad oil leak from the cooler

IMG_0284.jpg

whipped it off...

IMG_0285.jpg

new gaskets..

IMG_0288.jpg

& of course the crack pipe lug broke off as per usual

IMG_0291.jpg

& the other end snapped aswell just for good measure

IMG_0290.jpg

Looked rough in here too....

IMG_0282.jpg

Used this wee gadget..

IMG_0283.jpg

New crack pipe & cooler hoses fitted

IMG_0292.jpg

Never got any pics of the clutch change, by the time I remembered to take pics I had a lot of stuff done

Ive got the engine back in the bay with new mounts allround & the driveshafts(with new cv boot for you eagle eyed o.c.d. people) exhaust etc. all lined up ready to be connected back up tomorrow, I ran out of light tonight & I was bloody starvin having not stopped for a scran all day :cuckoo:

Wish me luck finishing it as knowing our weather it will probably be either a monsoon or under 6" of the white stuff :lol:

P.S. I could really do with a new radiator if anybody has a good used one kicking about & were willing to sell me it & ship it to me :wave: :wave: :wave:

Iits inspiring seeing threads like this. I've got to rip my vr out to put a new lump in next month and seeing stuff like this makes it a whole bunch less daunting!

Good luck getting it all back in and running!

Andy

Nice work. Anybody who can whip an engine out the way you have done it deserves all the credit they can get. Keep on the good work it gives people encouragement and inspiration to get on with their own projects. Much repsect this type of work is way far beyond my skills however.

Alan

Top job fella, got loads of respect for people who do major work on their cars!

Rich

Yes, great thread! Most people are great at pulling things in bits its the putting them back together the way we found them thats the hard part! I am on with a few jobs soon with the cooling system and photos like this give a better insight, make's what i have to do a look a whole lot easy!

Cheers lads, you just gotta get stuck in.

I didnt get it finished until last night as i spent 1/2 of thursday searching for a new radiator without success :( The best price I could get out of my local dealer for a new o.e. rad. was £179 inc. vat :shock: my old ones gonna have to do for now @ those prices :cuckoo:

While I was @ the dealers I also picked up a new cam sensor as mines was throwing up a fault after scanning with vag.com, after getting home with it & trying to fit it unsuccessfully I realised it had 2 removable plastic rings on it that I then removed & the sensor fitted perfectly :clap:

So, all back together now with the following ending up replaced

LUK clutch kit

new clutch slave cyl.

all new engine mounts

new cv boots

new crack pipe

new oil cooler gaskets & water hoses

water pump

cam sensor

2 x track rod ends

new aux belt

I did think about doing the chains as theres no record of them being replaced & the cars done 152k however its one of the quietest VR engines Ive heard tbh so I didnt bother.

To say the car feels transformed would be a massive understatement :clap: :clap: :clap:

steering feels excellent now as does the featherweight clutch & I was obviously missing a few ponies with the duff cam sensor.

hopefully I can just enjoy it for a wee while now & get on with finishing my mk1 golf before the good weather arrives....

I have just been robbed! Bloddy dealers have just sold me a new rad for £200 inc vat! :bad-words: And all the sensors, stat housing, rings, where a bit more than the prices people have paid on the fourum in the past! The guy did tell me VW have just had a price increase!!

I have just been robbed! Bloddy dealers have just sold me a new rad for £200 inc vat! :bad-words: And all the sensors, stat housing, rings, where a bit more than the prices people have paid on the fourum in the past! The guy did tell me VW have just had a price increase!!

I wouldnt worry too much mate, Ive found the pricing in the dealers to be up & down something terrible, it can even depend whos on the parts desk on any given day how much discount I get.

What I have found is if I go in armed with a price for the same part from somewhere else i.e. TPS, then my dealer will try & get as close as possible to it, this has worked for a few things with the dealer price matching for me on stuff like timing chain kit for my old charged mk2 VR.

Like I say though it can depend whos on the desk & whether they like your face or not :lol:

Just like the other week when I went into the tyre place for a couple of front tyres, they quoted me £120 & I said naaaaa! I can get em for £100 10 mins down the road, guy says gimme 2 mins & comes back & says OK £100 it is 8) thing is I lied & the other place had quoted me £120 too :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like me old mum always said "if you dont ask you dont get"

I wouldnt worry too much mate, Ive found the pricing in the dealers to be up & down something terrible, it can even depend whos on the parts desk on any given day how much discount I get.

What I have found is if I go in armed with a price for the same part from somewhere else i.e. TPS, then my dealer will try & get as close as possible to it, this has worked for a few things with the dealer price matching for me on stuff like timing chain kit for my old charged mk2 VR.

Like I say though it can depend whos on the desk & whether they like your face or not :lol:

Just like the other week when I went into the tyre place for a couple of front tyres, they quoted me £120 & I said naaaaa! I can get em for £100 10 mins down the road, guy says gimme 2 mins & comes back & says OK £100 it is 8) thing is I lied & the other place had quoted me £120 too :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like me old mum always said "if you dont ask you dont get"

Good man! :salute: And as an old wise man used to say, "He who dares Rodney my son, he who dares"

He might not of liked my face :lol: but i did try and blag him and still got nowhere after parting with £380 for a rad and some plastic bits and switches :mad2: