Sign in to follow this  
volksworld13

wings or no wings?

hi everyone

could do with some thoughts,

all corrado owners are aware the c is getting old and dreded corrsion , is staring to eat them a way, my front wings around the arches are corroding, ive had a new peice cut and fitted at the bottom,all was ok, but as water from the wheel thoroughly soak the metal arch they are starting to rust again,should i get the body shop to remove and treat and repaint and hop they wont go again, or shall i blow 500 quid and get 2 brand new wings from the stealers and get them painted, you get 2yr warranty on new parts from vw, but would that cover rust, bit of a dilema, but i wnat to keep the car for a long time, and rust proof it as best as i can.

your thoughts would be great. :brickwall: :shrug:

So many things to take into account.

Whats the rest of the car like?

What age / model is it?

How much available cash have you got for thowing at a C?

How much do you love it?

had a full respray 2yr ago, very good nick.

rust on rear arches and front , trying to prevent and treat yr after year.

1995 2.0 8v, spent loadza money on her, everything has almost been replaced , ie the usual stuff,all managment sensors, clutch cam belt, switches handbrake cables list is huge, but i dont know weather to save up for a storm and invest , and rebuild another im torn. corrados absorb more money than blotting paper!!

i have a bit of money to get the wings replaced and repainted, im prob looking at a 750-800 bill for 2 brand new wing incl paint.

i love the car, but i could love a storm?

just after full paint job, looked amazing very hard to recapture that paint,as i use it as a daily and , scuff little scrathes lacque scratches ect.

Looks good.

Sounds like it could be worth doing the job right as a patch up will never last that long...

What's the structural bodywork like? Underneath i.e. the sills near each wheel arch, along the seam and the jacking areas. The front underbody by the sub frame mounting area can have a hard life and once it's gone there you are talking about serious welding work. Likewise rear arches right up at the top for suspension bodywork strength. I'm assuming you have the front arch liners fitted still but your description of the work already done makes me wonder. If they are not there what's the bodywork like around the front suspension?

Have you got access to a ramp? A friendly tyre fitters or garage you use that would be happy to let you have a really good look.

Cars can look superb on the 'outside' but looking deeply at the bodywork structure can tell another story.

If it's sound under there and you have the cash to do it then I wouldn't think you mad to spend it. But like most money spent you are never going to recoup it if you ever decide to sell.

im a skoda/jeep /chrysler technician

so i can use my ramp anytime, the small box section at the rear behind the bumper, was rotton , but i have cut and welded a new section in makinsg sure all rust was removed.if you look up from behind the rear bumper, i think is the box section next to the sunroof drain off tube sills look ok, but need cleaning and treating, my biggest concern is rear arches as is very difficult to clean and prevent rust, the rear suspension mounts are solid butter has minor corrosion around the top,i havent looked around the front very thouroughly, ther is a small amount of corrsion around the battery drain when viewed from underneith, it upsets me , its like im fighting a losing battle when it comes to rust, as ive invested silly money in restoring.i suppose most of feel that way when we chuck good money at our pride and joy or hobbie if you like.

by the way did you get anyone to check out the wiring chaff on your 8v, it seems to be a common issue, affacting the throttle wiring.

Wiring chaff. Ah no. I forgot.

My exhaust broke in two on my way to Bristol so when I arrived at D&G for the rear brakes to be overhauled I had to ask Graham to weld that up.

Getting the slightly binding brakes sorted and the iffy exhaust welded made a big difference to my mpg. I was a bit disappointed to only be averaging 35ish but am now getting 38ish and on a steady M1/M42/M5/M4 Sheffield to Bristol 200 mile trip last week I got 42. wheeeee I love my 8V too :luvlove:

(I'm not sure I would buy brand new wings for it though :nuts: )

I would look for 2 good 2nd hand wings and there will be some out there in good rust free condition. Try mailing Leon as he's breaking a car which I believe was in very good condition.