Sign in to follow this  
duckdown_hoodrat

Calling all owners of wheel adapters!!

Hi guys,

Noticed today that the inner walls of my rear tyres are rubbing on the coilovers for what ever reason?? anyway i'm running 7J porsche 928's with 205/45/16's. One option is to go for a 195 width like the fronts adn get more stretch to attempt to avoid the strut, or space the wheels out. I'm a bit sceptical about using wheel spacers with the adapters though. Can anyone confirm if this is ok to do so??

Cheers, Dan

not necessarily the cheapest option but the best would just be to get some thicker adaptors..

considering you're probably only talking about 5mm each side its going to be tricky otherwise as the bolts in the current adaptors might not be long enough if you put the spacers on the inside, and if you put them on the outside then you're going to lose the "hubcentricity" of the adaptors which isnt a good idea.

what is the thickness of your adaptors and offset of your wheels at the moment?

Firstly, yep, reducing the tyre size would be a pretty good way of stopping that. A 205/45 on a 7 is basically no stretch so you'll have a nice slab of sidewall for the things to rub on the inside. 195/40's would be my choice on a 7 and theres still barely any stretch on that.

Thicker adaptors would be a good way of sorting it obv but is expensive.

On the spacer and adaptor front, its possible, seen it done a few times, you can get Porsche specific spacers on ebay quite cheap and longer bolts to suit easy enoughl. And it would probably be an easier solution than the other two. But obviously people get worried about the extra stresses that might be caused. Personally i dont think the difference would be that obvious, but i probably wouldn't do it all the same. Really depends on how paranoid a person you are. :lol:

Cheers for the replies guys!

Dukest, i'm going out to measure the adapter thickness up today, i'm gonna crank one of the bolts off (once i find an 8mm allen key!!) and see if i have enough length for a 5mm adapter then i will see how that runs. I've recently replaced the rear coilies which has caused this, but i don't think they are camber adjustable? odd.

Jonny777, cheers for your advise, i'm a fairly paranoid person but at the same time i'm not in a position to be forking out for new adapters haha, holiday to morroco to pay for! I think the next step would be a stretched tyre. The fronts are 195's, and they look a hell of a lot better to be fair with a touch of stretch.

I'll update with some pics later

You don't mention what thichness of adapters you are using. I'm running exactly the same wheel/ tyre set up with 35mm adapters with absolutely no clearance problems at all.