Sign in to follow this  
V33DUB

BMW 320i (e36)

I've been offered one for a monkey, trade sale no comeback. Not the cleanest but not a dog either to look at. Only advisory on last MOT was "Steering rack damaged but serviceable". That has been an advisory for the last 3 years it would seem as well. Needs an MOT now though as it ran out in Jan.

Is it worth taking the risk of £500 to drive for a few months and sell on? In 2 minds at the moment.

I've been offered one for a monkey, trade sale no comeback. Not the cleanest but not a dog either to look at. Only advisory on last MOT was "Steering rack damaged but serviceable". That has been an advisory for the last 3 years it would seem as well. Needs an MOT now though as it ran out in Jan.

Is it worth taking the risk of £500 to drive for a few months and sell on? In 2 minds at the moment.

You should be able to pick up a 6 pot E36 with a ticket for 500 quid....

i would offer him less you could probably pick up a tatty 320 with a test for £500

the 2.0 6 pot isnt the greatest of bmw engines, for the power they make (150bhp) they guzzle the fuel worse than the 4 pots and a 318is would have it in the bends, they are known to eat bushes and electrical faults can be a proper pain in the arse

saying that you cant beat that 6 cylinder song

what would it actually need for the mot if its just the rack then id say go for it but only if the seller would take a bit less than £500

if there is anything else that needs doing then id walk

good luck!

Only advisory on last MOT was "Steering rack damaged but serviceable". That has been an advisory for the last 3 years it would seem as well. Needs an MOT now though as it ran out in Jan.

Frankly there are so many perfectly working £500 bangers out there with valid tickets that I can't believe you are seriously entertaining the thought of handing over that much money for something that doesn't even have an MOT. If you buy this particular shed you should have your head MOT'd as well as the car.

After further inspection and driving it I walked away. Little niggling things have started to go wrong and the exhaust was so boomy and chav like I really couldn't wait to get out of it. Plus they were very particular about it being a "trade sale, sold as seen, no idea what it'd need for an MOT and don't want the hassle of finding out". Anyways, that 500 would be better spent on the corrado me thinks. :D Cheers for the advise though anyways people.

And as for my head corozin, I can't find an inspector who'll touch it! :nuts:

After further inspection and driving it I walked away. Little niggling things have started to go wrong and the exhaust was so boomy and chav like I really couldn't wait to get out of it. Plus they were very particular about it being a "trade sale, sold as seen, no idea what it'd need for an MOT and don't want the hassle of finding out". Anyways, that 500 would be better spent on the corrado me thinks. :D Cheers for the advise though anyways people.

And as for my head corozin, I can't find an inspector who'll touch it! :nuts:

That probably applies to all of us who are ploughing money and love into (in my case) a 17 year old Corrados rather than follow the sheep and run something newer, more reliable and probably better! After I wrote that post I wondered if I might have been a little harsh but I'm pleased to see you read it as I intended - friendly and earnest advice with a smile.

That said, don't all people in nuthouses have big grins? :nuts:

Cheers

John